Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well tried to get an inspection today.... Got denied cuz from passenger bearing was bad and also front tints are too dark... Smh. Going to try to put the hub assembly by myself. Already got the part ordered. Anyone know on the difficulty level and time? I think I should be able to do it myself but never know...

At least on the bright side, I got my Mickey Thompson Baja Lock wheels on, and someone bought my stock wheels for $150 on the same day. No spaces for them , was actually gonna put it on Craigslist..

·
Registered
970 Posts
Depends on your mechanical ability. Jack and support Jeep, take wheel off, take off caliper and hang carefully so as to not pull on the brake line, take rotor off, use impact to remove 36mm(I think) nut on axle - probably best to loosen nut before jacking jeep if you don't have an impact, remove 3- 13mm 12point bolts that hold unibearing on. clean surfaces and install new....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Curious as to why your wheel hub assembly has gone bad...How many miles do you have and have you been running some big tires?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
90k, had spacers for the last 8k. Just got new wheels, and 285/70r17 so nothing big. I remember one stormy day I hit a huge pothole on my right front going about 35-40. Maybe that had something to do with it..not sure.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Depends on your mechanical ability. Jack and support Jeep, take wheel off, take off caliper and hang carefully so as to not pull on the brake line, take rotor off, use impact to remove 36mm(I think) nut on axle - probably best to loosen nut before jacking jeep if you don't have an impact, remove 3- 13mm 12point bolts that hold unibearing on. clean surfaces and install new....
This plus the axle nut should be torqued. Maybe an ABS wire to watch out for.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Well tried to get an inspection today.... Got denied cuz from passenger bearing was bad and also front tints are too dark... Smh. Going to try to put the hub assembly by myself. Already got the part ordered. Anyone know on the difficulty level and time? I think I should be able to do it myself but never know... At least on the bright side, I got my Mickey Thompson Baja Lock wheels on, and someone bought my stock wheels for $150 on the same day. No spaces for them , was actually gonna put it on Craigslist..
Check out YouTube. There are lots of videos of how to replace the bearings on Jeep JKs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts