Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Why?

I had locks (dealer-installed) and got rid of them ASAP. I'd hate to need to change a tire and lose or break my proprietary wheel lock...

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I will only use OEM wheel locks. I had many problems with aftermarket locks.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I take my chances without the locks. They are a PITA.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have Gorilla Wheel Locks on my TJ. Never had a problem with them. They didn't have "The System" when I got them, so I just ordered 2 sets that were identically keyed to get enough lug locks for my spare and a SECOND lug key. That's critical in my mind... I would never have them on without having a spare key.

By-the-way, I went with the Gorilla brand after my McGard Wheel Locks (OEM) SHATTERED. The thin wall, jigsaw style locks don't hold up in the cold weather here in the northwest apparently. The shop I buy my tires from broke three of them one cold day rotating them... and I even watched as the guy tried to get the last one off, by hand, and it shattered into pieces. While I didn't blame him or the shop, I got a call a week later and they had gotten a replacement set for me at their expense. I still have them... never been opened... they're for sale if anybody is interested.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
One question for you guys who use wheel locks... wheel locks are great when you keep the socket away from thieves and always have it available when you're on the road, but kinda pointless if you keep the socket in your glove box where a thief could reach right in and grab it. So where do you keep your socket for your wheel lock?

·
Registered
36 Posts
One question for you guys who use wheel locks... wheel locks are great when you keep the socket away from thieves and always have it available when you're on the road, but kinda pointless if you keep the socket in your glove box where a thief could reach right in and grab it. So where do you keep your socket for your wheel lock?
In my locked Tuffy Console!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Some suck and can be removed easily with a wrench. I had to remove two this weekend and it was a piece.of cake with my pipe wrench. The kind that takes a key ( NOT a socket) is best

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
on my last one i drilled a hole through it and attached in my key ring

·
Registered
36 Posts
on my last one i drilled a hole through it and attached in my key ring
I actually did that with he McGard ones I had... but I got tired of carrying it around. I loosened up a little I guess by locking it in my Tuffy Security Console. I came to realize that the whole thing about locks and alarms of any kind is just to create enough of a deterrence so a would be thief moves on to some other saps ride that looks easier to break into, strip, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts