Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi I'm new at this but figured who better to ask then other jeep owners, i have a 13 jk four door with a rustys 3.25 lift just bought hankook 35/12.50/17 and also bought xd crank rims and wanted to know if there is a particular off set i should have i ordered them from 4 wheeler.com and told them everything i have haven't mounted tires yet cause rims look like they might hit any input???

·
Registered
688 Posts
Assuming a 17 x 9 wheel, offset should be -12mm or 4.5" backspace or less. Looks like the XD Crank is 00mm offset or 5" backspace, so you may have some interference.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
You will be close. It's really going to depend on the specific tire and the actual effective width. The ones with wraparound trend are wider. Most will fit with 4.7" but with 5.0" you may have rub at full turn.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
hi I'm new at this but figured who better to ask then other jeep owners, i have a 13 jk four door with a rustys 3.25 lift just bought hankook 35/12.50/17 and also bought xd crank rims and wanted to know if there is a particular off set i should have i ordered them from 4 wheeler.com and told them everything i have haven't mounted tires yet cause rims look like they might hit any input???
Since you've already bought the wheels and tires, this is mostly for peeps who come into this thread later on.

A few quick tips:

1. 17" tires will kill you on cost, weight and mileage. Unless you're dead-set on larger wheels, go with 16s, or even 15s (though 15s can have clearance issues with brake calipers, among other things.)

2. Generally, you want 4.5" of backspacing or less. Be aware that the smaller the BS number, the farther your tires will stick out. Also, the 4.5" recommendation isn't set in stone...AEV sells rims with 5.2" BS. It's gonna depend on the tires you wanna run, the lift you have, etc.

3. If you end up with a combo that rubs when you're at full steering lock, you might be able to fix it by adding some washers to your steering stops. Very easy to do...

You will be close. It's really going to depend on the specific tire and the actual effective width. The ones with wraparound trend are wider. Most will fit with 4.7" but with 5.0" you may have rub at full turn.
:thumb:

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
3. If you end up with a combo that rubs when you're at full steering lock, you might be able to fix it by adding some washers to your steering stops. Very easy to do...
Adding washers is a cheap/free way void rubbing at full lock when you have wheels with too much backspacing. The other option, if you want a wider stance, is to add Wheel Spacers to decrease backspacing and push the wheels/tires away from the body. Let me know if you have any questions!

-Ryan

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,051 Posts
View attachment 1012481

View attachment 1012489

For them large tires, a 9" wide wheel, with a 4.5 BS, -12 offset, would work out really good for you!

Just keep in mind, that the further that you kick out your wheel, the more stress that is added, to other component's, like your Ball Joints, and hub bearings. So If you can get by with less, by adding some washers to your stops, then that recommendation, would have a lot of merit too it!
FYI, the wheels that Mopar sells for larger tires, are 8.5" wide, with a 4.6 Back Spacing.

:welcome: to the Forum...:wavey:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
For them large tires, a 9" wide wheel, with a 4.5 BS, -12 offset, would work out really good for you! Just keep in mind, that the further that you kick out your wheel, the more stress that is added, to other component's, like your Ball Joints, and hub bearings. So If you can get by with less, by adding some washers to your stops, then that recommendation, would have a lot of merit too it! FYI, the wheels that Mopar sells for larger tires, are 8.5" wide, with a 4.6 Back Spacing. :welcome: to the Forum...:wavey:
Good info old dogger! I was wondering what the measurements on the mopar wheels were, so thanks!

Also, for the OP, keep in mind that in some states having your tires outside the fender flares is illegal... So the farther you push them out they may not fit under the flares.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts