Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I believe I put the cart before the horse on this one...... I recently bought Moto Metal 20'' x 9"" wheels with 5.7'' of backspacing.... They were paired with 275/65R20 Toyo open country ATII Tires which according to Toyo's website are 34.1'' tall x 11'' wide. Everything fit without a lift and doesn't rub, However I do want to order a lift for it..... The problem I am having is at 5.7'' of backspacing everyone is telling me I will need wheel spacers which I don't want...... Is anyone running a similar setup or have any recommendations on which lift to use. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
14,527 Posts
So I believe I put the cart before the horse on this one...... I recently bought Moto Metal 20'' x 9"" wheels with 5.7'' of backspacing.... They were paired with 275/65R20 Toyo open country ATII Tires which according to Toyo's website are 34.1'' tall x 11'' wide. Everything fit without a lift and doesn't rub, However I do want to order a lift for it..... The problem I am having is at 5.7'' of backspacing everyone is telling me I will need wheel spacers which I don't want...... Is anyone running a similar setup or have any recommendations on which lift to use. Thanks!
At 11" wide, those tires won't cause much trouble with 5.7 back space. You can run up to 11" tire with the stock 6.25 back spacing. The issue with lifting and back space is usually the rear sway bar links. However, you won't want more than 2.5" lift with a 34" tire and the length of the rear links is probably not an issue due to the 20" wheels. The bolt that often hits the rim will fall inside the 20" wheel diameter.

Those are great tires but it's not really an off road friendly size...

As for lift, if you're still concerned, Metalcloak has an option that is specific for higher back space wheels like yours. Consider their new 2.5 Overland system and pick the shocks of your choice and you have an excellent setup.

METALCLOAK

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.... I looked under the jeep and it seemed like even with longer sway bar links it would not hit as there is plenty of room from the stock sway bar bolt to the rim.... Teraflex is who told me it would hit when I called them.... I will check out the lift you recommended as well....... I don't ever really go off road being in the suburbs of Chicago, but why is that not a good off road size just out of curiosity.... Thanks again for your help!

·
Super Moderator
14,527 Posts
Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.... I looked under the jeep and it seemed like even with longer sway bar links it would not hit as there is plenty of room from the stock sway bar bolt to the rim.... Teraflex is who told me it would hit when I called them.... I will check out the lift you recommended as well....... I don't ever really go off road being in the suburbs of Chicago, but why is that not a good off road size just out of curiosity.... Thanks again for your help!
Yea, I think you'll clear the wheels based on what we have said...

As for the tires, based on what you do it won't make much, if any difference at all. But to explain, a significant portion of the traction we get when crawling over an obstacle is the sidewall and tread flex of the tire when it is aired down to low PSI. Large wheels, like 20's reduce the sidewall too much to have as much flex and therefore you have less traction. The other issue is the sidewall flex you do get, can and will damage the wheel much faster than a smaller diameter wheel.

This photo shows sidewall flex. Imagine if you had short sidewalls...

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
You'll be fine, I have pintlers (5.7" bs too) and they only rub in a few places with 35's. I ended up running spacers because I wheel it, but if you're just around town you should be a-ok.
If those are AEV Pintlers, they are 5.2 BS.

Size: 17" x 8.5"
Offset: +10mm
Approximate Backspacing: 5.2"

·
Registered
239 Posts
OP what lift were you originally going with? Rancho has the new 2" lift with progressive springs that you wouldn't need wheels with the 4.5" bs, they also don't need longer sway bar links.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts