Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Mountain Unlimited and I am looking to put new rims on.....actually I have been thinking for a few months.

I pretty set on the Cragar Soft 8's but I have a general question about which size to get.

Currently, I'd like to keep the stock rubber and just put new rims on. Previous posts on this forum tell me that my stock rim size is 17x8 with a 6 inch backspacing.

Cragar offers the soft 8's in a 17x8 rim size with 4.5" of backspacing or 17x9 with 5 inches of backspacing.

Any recommendations/suggestions on which ones to run with the following in mind.

My overall look that i am going for is of the classic Jeep..... with tires "bumped" out a little. I do plan on running larger tires in the future (with a smaller lift, maybe 37's or something), but would just like to get more wear of the OEM ones for a little while.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Not sure there would be a difference because a larger tire walls will bulge more on the smaller wheel width and the .5 difference would probably end up as equal in the end or close to it. The large tire would look more ballooned on the 17X8 and look more in line with the wheel on the 17X9

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You should go with 4.5 inches of backspacing, i may get burned for this but that half inch of backspacing over the 5 inch will make all the difference if you ever go to a larger tire.

·
Registered
98 Posts
9" wheel is too wide for a stock tire. Stock wheel is 7.5" wide. Go to Tire rack.com to see the different wheels suited for your tires. 8" wide is plenty for a stock tire.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
If they were the same width wheel the difference would be noticeable. But since one is a 8 and the other is a 9" then they offset each other.

Example

If you are putting on a 33X12.5 tire the center of the tire to edge would be 6 1/4". If you put that on a 17X8 wheel with 4.5"back space then the tire will bulge past the back side of the rim by 6.25 - 4.5 = 1.75

while on the 17X9 with the 5" backspace would be 6.25 - 5 = 1.25

The difference of the two are exactly .5 which nullifies the backspacing

But if your looking for the bigger looking of the two then the tires on the 17X8 will look bigger then the same tires on the 17X9

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info.... so how wide or big (for future applications) can one go on a tire for a 17x8 rim?

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
12.5" is about as wide as you want to put on an 8" wheel....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
12.5" is about as wide as you want to put on an 8" wheel....

thanks, is 12.5 enough of a width on a tire for say...37's?? forgive me if that is a stupid...and or novice question.

I just want to make sure that the rims that I buy now will be good enough to accept whatever tires I am planning on in the future.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
With the backspacing you are looking at, I don't think you can go wider than 12.5"... Not entirely up to speed on my JK bs facts tho'.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here's 17 X 9 with 4.5" back space, 32" BFG's. The outside of the tire is perfectly even with the fender edge. You get outside the fender, you throw alot more rocks.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts