Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice.

I’m interested in putting some narrow studded 235-85-16 tires on my lifted YJ. It currently has 33-12.5-15’s summer tires on it. The new tires are about 32” in diameter.

These tires need narrow 6-7” wide wheels.

I’d like to keep the stance it currently has so the tires sit about the sane outer footprint.

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
235/85R16s are 31.7" tall.

Nightsailor you are going to be extremely limited in wheels. I can find a grand total of 0 16" x 6" wheels with 5 on 4.5" lug spacing. Quadratec has 4 steel wheels that are 16x7 with 4.5" lug spacing in the range of $72 to $82. They also have 6 Black Rhino alloy wheels in 16x7 with 4.5" lug spacing but they are almost $200 a pop.

The first winter I was in Virginia I put 4 studded snow tires on my Accord on the OEM steel wheels. I kept the regular tires. When spring came, I had the original tires mounted on new wheels and swapped them back and forth for several seasons on three different Accords.

Since the 235s are only 9.25" wide compared to your "summer tires" at 12.5", you will probably have to put spacers on to keep the snow tires out to be even close to the footprint of the summer tires.

·
Super Moderator
11,349 Posts
Some posters may recommend spacers between the narrower wheels and your axles. I'm not a fan of spacers but in your case if you're using 16" tires, you may need to use JK wheels. If you do, I suggest using the thinnest adapters you can find. Another suggestion is have some wheels custom made.
If you have custom wheels made, talk to the wheel maker and tell him what your preferences are as far as keeping your current stance. The wheel guy should be able to discuss wheel offset and backspacing with you. I'd be more concerned with safety and drivability than looks.

A chart by Big O states that 235-85-16 is 31.73" tall. The same chart states that a 245-85-16 is 32.4" tall. Other tire makers may have different diameters in the same size.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: NightSailor

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
There are plenty 16" wheels with YJ/TJ lug spacing (5 on 4.5/5 on 114.3mm), in fact the stock Rubicon wheels for the '03-'06 TJ Rubicons are 16" with 5 on 4.5" lugs, but they are 8" wide (for the 245/75R16 GY MTR tires) which is too wide for a 235mm wide tire.

In fact these are Quadratec 16x8 wheels with 5.2" backspace (OEMs had 6" back space).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts