Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some quick history. I went to the Jeep dealer today where I bought my Rubicon to ask about labor to install the Mopar 2" lift. After much research I think this is the one I want. Anyway, I also asked about needing spacers after the lift is installed and once I go to bigger tires. He was very much against spacers and said I should get both new wheels and tires when I decide to upgrade. I mentioned many folks on this forum used spacers and he said he has seen cases of them cracking and even the wheel coming off due to spacer failure. So I'm an engineer (electrical, not mechanical) but knew that didn't sound quite right. He suggested new wheels with a different offset versus installing spacers. I like the idea of spacers because I want to keep my original Rubicon wheels. I like them. So my question after all that is does his story about the spacers ring true? Didn't sound right to me but curious since I know I didn't don't know everything. Thanks.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have run Rough Country 1.5 inch spacers on my jku for over 20k miles. No issues with them. Yes, buying wheels is a better idea but there isn't anything wrong with running the spacers. Just don't use the kind that just slide over the lug nuts. Get hub centric spacers that bolt to the lug studs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
This seems to be a hot subject here. Some say spacers suck. Some say they are ok. I have a set for when I get my 37's since 4.5 backspace seems to not be enough with 13.50 tires. I probably won't give a second thought on having them on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
51,653 Posts
spidertrax wheel spacers | eBay

^^^These are quality Spacers. If you install them properly, then you should not have a problem.

If you go with a 1.5" spacer and your stock wheels which are 6.25 Back Spacing, then the combination will give you 4.75 Back Spacing. This is a good BS to run with larger tires.

rotor_retainer_clip clips.jpg

^^^First remove these retainers. Next buff the hubs with a wire brush until clean.
Install your new spacers with the loctite supplied. Torque them to 100 ft. lbs.
Next make sure that your wheel matting surface is clean, then install your wheels. Torque them to 95 ft. lbs.

THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT..

When you rotate your tires at approx. 5000 miles, re-check the torque on the Spacers. But only set your torque wrench to 95 ft. lbs., because you don't want to disturb the loctite.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, after doing a lot of research they seem to be the popular choice if you have to do it. Just 1000 miles on them, so far so good.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'll echo what Old Dogger said above, except the torque. My 1-3/4" Spidertrax instructions said 90ft/lbs on the spacer nuts and 85 on the wheels nuts. Verify the torque....not re-torque the spacer nuts after 50 miles, and at every wheel rotation afterwards.

I ran those spacers for close to a year (~15,000 miles) until I bought new wheels. No issues at all. I would recommend that if you buy spacers, buy a set made in the USA, and not set made in China.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
There is nothing different in terms of how the vehicle drives or rides when you compare spacers with wheels with less offset. The only real argument that can be made against spacers is that there are now twice as many lugs, which is really a non issue, assuming you own a torque wrench.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The bad reputation that wheel spacers have gotten was from the old style that was just a piece of aluminum with holes drilled in it......you placed them over your studs and hoped they were long enough to hold the wheel on.....sometimes it was, sometimes the studs would break while driving because they had too much free space to flex.
The style that we use today has a second set of studs in the spacer (It's really an adapter) which eliminate 99.9% of those issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts