Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some wheels I want to put on my LJ. They are only made with 5 inch back space so going to have a slight rub problem with my 33's. If I use wheel spacers which brand should I go with?? Strongest, safest? I know nada about them so I can use some help.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Make sure they are legal in your state before sepnding the money. Personally I would never use wheel spacers.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
What is wrong with wheel spacers?
They sometimes are a failure point if they are not maintained properly. They supposedly put additional stress on the bearings. They are roughly the same price as getting steel wheels with the correct backspacing.

FWIW, I currently run 1.25" spacer/adapters on my Jeep. They've been on for almost 4 years now and I've never had an issue with them. I always check the torque on them every time I rotate my tires. I don't use loctite on mine, although some manufacturers advise using loctite when mounting spacers.

Oh and I drive my Jeep everyday, so far the spacers/adapters are ok...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I just wanted info about the best ones made and UnlimitedLJ04 gave me the info I was looking for.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Has anyone ever had properly installed spacers fail?
I've seen a few reports of it...don't remember exact number but it was under 5 cases. But "properly installed" can always be broken down with speculation...like using a torque wrench that isn't calibrated. Or overtorquing bolts, or getting defective studs (which the spacer manufacturer won't know till they fail).

I ran Spidertrax spacers for a few months. I took them off and bought wheels with proper backspacing because I got tired of the tire shop bs.

Most shops and tire places will not touch a vehicle with wheel spacers...I got tired of swapping wheels or taking off the spacers to get the tires balanced.:banghead: And if I got a flat tire in a different state or far away from home I'd have a problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have never heard of spacers causing problems so I was wondering. Thanks for the info about the tire store people as this would be a pain as you describe.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have run spacers for about 5 years. Had one instance of failure which was totally my fault due to lack of maintenance. I still run them if that tells you anything. With big tires too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts