Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and searched, and there are so many varying opinions on this, but I have yet to find solid reasoning for *or* against them.

I am looking to do a Zone 4.25" combo lift, and 33's on stock rims first. I am wondering if there is any positive functionality for wheel spacers, or if it is just to give the stance a different look. Also, what are the negatives of using them?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pros:
Wider Stance
Offsets wheels for clearance

Cons:
Extra bolts you have to remember to tighten
Wider stance creates greater leverage on axle housing which can lead to bending

Something to keep in mind $100 of spacers would get you half way to a set of 4 steelies with better offset.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have searched and searched, and there are so many varying opinions on this, but I have yet to find solid reasoning for *or* against them.

I am looking to do a Zone 4.25" combo lift, and 33's on stock rims first. I am wondering if there is any positive functionality for wheel spacers, or if it is just to give the stance a different look. Also, what are the negatives of using them?
Pros: Wider track width for stability and/or clearance of certain components (goes for wider wheels with lower backspacing as well)

Cons: (these go for wider wheels and lower backspacing as well)
More stress on ball joints and hubs
Decreased turning radius
Depending on tire coverage laws, may put tires out past your fenders
Con specific to spacers: need to be weary of torque on them, I have seen them come loose.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly what I was looking for. Seems that the cons outweigh the pros, and it is almost only cosmetic on a mild build.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I run 1.5" Synergy wheel spacers on my stock Ravine wheels just like you have. Zero issues. I'll eventually go to new aluminum wheels with proper backspacing, but for now they work. People make having to retorque them like its a big deal. It's not. I have checked mine twice in the last three years and they are still exactly at 100ft lb.

I certainly wouldn't run cheap steel wheels over running spacers and my factory aluminum wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
the biggest reason is because the wheels selected do not have enough offset for the width of tires installed.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I ran 1.5 Spidertrax spacers on a 2.5" AEV lift... set it up really nice for 305/70/17 Duratracs. If you are sticking with factory-size tires, it will give you a wider look. The wear and tear issue is minute... and no different than going to a different offset wheel. Spacers give you the physical equivalent of wheels with more offset.

Now... will a 3 inch wider track make a different in handing and performance? It did for me... The wider you can go, the more stable (within reason). Fat tires and fat Jeep = trail happiness.

Cost wise... $200 for spacers... anywhere from $600 to $1500 for different wheels.

Depends on what you like. I've got a new 75th JKU on the way and it's getting the same treatment... 2.5" lift, 1.5" spacers and the biggest Duratracs I can get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts