Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what the use of wheel spacers are, other than giving the wheel some more clearance around fenders. I've got stock fenders and a 2 1/2 Teraflex lift with 33" tires. Have got plenty of room now, but was thinking about getting some spacers.

Does it affect handling or anything? Have seen all kinds of different brands, what does everyone recommend?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Spacers do not give you more clearance in the fenders. What they will do is possibly prevent tires rubbing on the frame or front air dam when running taller/wider tires on stock rims or rims with less backspacing. If you already have aftermarket rims with decent back spacing and no rubbing, you really don't need the spacers

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
They take a wheel with a large backspace (like the factory wheels which have 6.25" BS) and create a smaller backspace (1.5" spacers create 4.75" backspace on stock wheels), therefore pushing the wheel/tire further towards the outside of the vehicle. This is to allow the use of wider tires without the risk of contacting the sway bar, airdam, etc.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Pretty much what the others said. I highly recommend Spidertrax. They are high quality and American made.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I like factory wheels & a 11.5” wide tire , running 1.5” American made Synergy spacers, Sydertrax is also good quality.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If I can be totally honest, eff factory wheels and spacers. I get that new wheels are expensive, I'm military and had to budget and save for mine. A lot of people try and act like they "wanted

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
I think the Jeep looks better with the wheels a bit wider. The spacers will increase you turning radius a bit. So, if you just made it on your usual U-turn, now you won't. No big deal.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
If I can be totally honest, eff factory wheels and spacers. I get that new wheels are expensive, I'm military and had to budget and save for mine. A lot of people try and act like they "wanted
And it is totally fine that you feel that way. But there is nothing at all wrong with going with spacers instead of aftermarket wheels. A quality hub-centric spacer such as SpiderTrax or many others is actually made of stronger material than the factory wheel and many aftermarket wheels.

That being said, I am NOT trying to cause this thread to turn into a "are wheel spacers ok" thread, cause that will go downhill fast, and that wasn't the OPs intent when starting this thread.

FWIW, on my previous JKU, I added aftermarket wheels. However, on my current one, I liked my factory Big Bear wheels and added 1.5" spacers as the first "mod", despite my mod budget being much bigger/better this time around.

This is just my opinion of course. Like I started this post saying, there is nothing wrong with you not sharing the same opinion as I.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hey I’ve had plenty of aftermarket wheels & 90% of them look like crap in my opinion, i don’t want a wheel over 8” wide , i don’t want a wheel sticking way out either. Expenses has zero to do with my decision thank you , thanks for your service .

Reactions: Fungun

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I think the Jeep looks better with the wheels a bit wider. The spacers will increase you turning radius a bit. So, if you just made it on your usual U-turn, now you won't. No big deal.
I like a more narrow tire/wheel i run narrow trails & where i live we have heavy rain a lot so believe it or not 11.25” wide tire makes a big difference in heavy rain fall , I’ve ran 12.5” & 13.5” wide & i had worse results for my needs

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have 1.5" Spidertrax spacers with a 2.5" BB lift and 33s on stock wheels. Others already covered their benefits, and like RubiconSS said, it may be in my mind but 'feels planted'.

I didn't do it as a cost thing, I personally like factory wheels, simple, not flashy but not cheap looking.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I really like the 10A wheels - money isn't an issue, I just don't want a different wheel, but I do want larger tires. So I have a set of Spidertrax sitting in the garage for when I swap the KM2's out and go larger.

I'm a little apprehensive about it as I've read one or two horror stories, but if you torque properly and use thread lock, it looks like you'll have no issue.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I follow directions to a tee with spacers, make sure to remove the brake disc stud clips, use supplied loctite & torque to 90 Ft lbs , then install your wheels 500 miles later i pull wheels off & check the spacers torque set at 85 ft lbs if they don’t budge your good then every tire rotation they get checked .

·
Registered
371 Posts
you can run wheel spacers if you want. nothing wrong with them. i'm running them with my stock Recon wheels.

but, i wouldn't if you don't need to. the farther you push your wheels out the more stress that is put on the unit bearings. unit bearings are already weak points in the JK. no need to add more stress unless you have to.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
you can run wheel spacers if you want. nothing wrong with them. i'm running them with my stock Recon wheels.

but, i wouldn't if you don't need to. the farther you push your wheels out the more stress that is put on the unit bearings. unit bearings are already weak points in the JK. no need to add more stress unless you have to.
Then you would need to apply that same thought not just to wheel spacers, but to any aftermarket wheel with less backspacing than the factory wheel. A wheel with 4.75 BS is a wheel with 4.75 BS, regardless of if it is achieved by a new wheel or a stock wheel + spacer.

I know you know that, but just posting to clarify for those that may come across this thread while searching in the future.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts