Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I am currently replacing my wheel speed sensor in my 08 jk. The old one came out however when I am seating the new one I can't seem to get it down all the way. I don't want to break the senor. I don't see anything down in the hole I just want to make sure it isn't supposed to just sit in there. And that some force is nessacary

Thanks

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
This is of my '14s rear setup. There is not much clearance between the sensor and the ring. If you are doing the rear, take the rotor off and you can see whats going on. I imagine the front would be about the same to see it. Maybe not

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sometimes the old sensor will leave some residue that will need to be cleaned before the new sensor will seat properly. Scrape it out gently with a flat blade and clean and residue out with a Q-tip. Don't scrape the bearing, just the sides. That's what has worked for me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Compare the sensors make sure the same.
Sensors are the exact same. I went ahead and found a plug that fits that hole. And ordered a whole wheel bearing assembly.

I think the whole issue was just rust and corrosion. Not a bad thing to change the whole thing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's likely superficial corrosion and corrosion like that can usually be cleaned up. You really just needed to scrape the bore of the sensor socket and clean it up. Grease it up a bit and tap the sensor in gently, done. I've done quite a few this way. Sometimes there so bad that they break getting them out and you have to tap them with a screw or tap to pull them out. Either way, clean, lube, install, done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts