Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm really close to getting new wheels and tires, but still debating on sizes. I currently have 15x8 stock Gambler wheels with 31x10.5 tires on my '03 TJ. One idea I have is to just stick with a 15x8 wheel so when I get them I can just have Discount Tire put them on my existing tires until they wear out; but I really like the look of a 15x10 a lot better! It has a way cooler deeper dish look. My eventual plan on tires is to jump up to 32x11.5, since my lift is only around 2". So here's some questions:

Will a 31x10.5 fit well enough on a 15x10, while I wait for my 32x11.5's?

Does a 32x11.5 fit good on a 15x10?

What backspacing do I need for a 15x10 wheel, and will I need spacers?

These are just a few questions I have so far, but I'm sure there will be more! Any help is appreciated.

NOTE: The wheel at the top of my list right now is Pro Comp's 1069 in a 15x10 size.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
15x8 is superior to 15x10 in every way regarding any of the tire sizes you listed. Save the deep dish look garbage for a tuner car that sees hard parking at the high school parking lot.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Aesthetics aside, your 31" tires will need/want a bead that keeps them from peeling off when you hit the trail - even with a 12.5" wide tire.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thought I would have more thumbs up on the 15x10's. I see so many Jeeps with huge and wide tires, I figured they HAVE to be running 15x10 with the ever-so-popular 33's.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most of us on here are running 12.5" wide tires on 8" rims. They will hold a bead much better when aired down for wheeling, and there's absolutely no need to go to a wider wheel.
Cool. This is helping me to narrow down my prospects. Anybody here running Pro Comp's 1069 wheel on their TJ? Is a wheel spacer needed?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just put on Goodyear Duratracs 31x10.5x15 with new Mickey Thompson Classic III on my 01 wrangler. I have no lift.
That's one of the wheels I'm considering, but not in black. So many wheels have that extremely similar style with very slight differences, mostly just on the center cap. I want the aluminum look, but not too overly polished. Still thinking Pro Comp 1069's are gonna be what I go with. They offer several different center caps if you want to change the look up.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
X2^ After two different sets of steel wheels on my TJ, I would go with alloy wheels of your choosing. Especially if you plan on going with larger than 31's down the road. I had both D-windows and Cragar Soft 8's. They were hard to keep perfectly balanced after offroading with lowered tire pressures. With how picky the front ends are on our TJ's, you don't need any help in the wobble department.

I switched back to alloy wheels and never had a problem or re-balance since the initial tire mounting.

15x8 with 3.75-4" backspacing. It's the backspacing that will give you the wider stance that you are after, without having to go with a 10" wheel. Your stock wheels look skinny due to more backspacing farther inward.

Pics: The red TJ has 15x10 steel wheels with 3.75 backspace. My black TJ has 15x8 alloy wheels with the same backspacing. Both Jeeps are running 35x12.5's.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My '05 TJ had 33 x 12.5's on 15 x 8 wheels when I got it shown in my avatar pic and ran fine, altho the ride was terrible, even for a Jeep and the road noise from the larger tires with their very aggressive tread was so bad you couldn't carry on a conversation, hear the radio or emergency vehicles at 45 mph or more. I'm an old phart andnot in to rock climbing or mudding,so don't need monster tires.I recently scaled down to 30 x 9.5's and all is well!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts