Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the Jeep community, but looking for wheel/tire suggestions for my wife's Sahara. Admittedly, she falls into the mall crawler category of jeep owners and is essentially just looking for a way to update the look of her JK. I've noticed that 99% of modded jeeps have fairly tall sidewalls, deep tread design, and smaller wheels. Are there any good options in the 19-20" wheel diameter range which are able to handle a relatively lower profile tire? I am not looking for the ghetto fabulous look, but hoping there was something that would look OEM plus (like it came from the factory). I really like the high altitude package on the JL, but was told that those wheels would not fit on a JK. Is there anything similar in the aftermarket?

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
We don't normally do the big wheel look on a Jeep. The lack of sidewall (works as part of the suspension) and the fact that all of the tires are E or F rated for 3/4 trucks makes for a crappy ride. I am the other way... I went down to 15" wheels for the 35's on my LJ. The JK is on 17's and 35's and it's just the right amount of sidewall in my opinion, you can also get C rated tires in 315/70R17 and the wheels are not crazy expensive (20's are near double the cost of 17's).

It's your Jeep, do as you please... But you're not going to get a lot of popular support for it here.

Now, to try to "help" you. 19" wheels are in decline, almost all MFG's of both tires and wheels are settling on 20" as the mall crawler (poke poke) "preferred" size. You want between 5.0 and 4.5 back spacing. There are lots of options.

Check out the Falken AT3W tire, it rides great and performs in all conditions and available in 35x12.5R20. It's also 3 peak rated...

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
JL/JT wheels do fit on the JK no problem. You must use the JK wheel nuts.
Your best tire selection will be in the 17” size. Tires and wheels will also be cheaper in 17” due to popularity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JL/JT wheels do fit on the JK no problem. You must use the JK wheel nuts.
Your best tire selection will be in the 17” size. Tires and wheels will also be cheaper in 17” due to popularity.

Sorry if this a noob question, but I assumed using JK wheels nuts would be obvious? Do JL nuts fit on the JK studs or something?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Sorry if this a noob question, but I assumed using JK wheels nuts would be obvious? Do JL nuts fit on the JK studs or something?
No, JL nuts do not fit on JK studs. Stud size is different but the wheel bolt pattern is the same. I mentioned it because It’s not obvious to a lot of people.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well in case anyone is wondering how it looks, here it is. The wheels were a direct fit and I had no issues using the JK lugs. No spacers needed. Also, threw on a custom painted "high altitude" bumper. For what it's worth, the ride on the 255/70/20s is much nicer than the stock sahara 18" tires. Wife loves it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts