Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night a woman hit my passenger front tire and now I can only steer it right and back to center, it won't go left. Tried taking it all off and centering it again, but still the same issue. Photo is my pitman arm after the accident. Any idea what I'm dealing with?

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Pitman arm looks loos and bent at the least. It almost looks spun backwards, but its been some time since I have seen the TJ pitman ..

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Now you have a Republican Jeep!

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Yeah, my thoughts are you may have to replace the steering box and pitman arm.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Get rid of that dropped Pitman arm too and reinstall the OE Pitman arm too. Your track bar mount is not dropped so the Pitman arm should not be either. The combination you have now causes bump steer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get rid of that dropped Pitman arm too and reinstall the OE Pitman arm too. Your track bar mount is not dropped so the Pitman arm should not be either. The combination you have now causes bump steer.
Even with the 4" lift? I just don't understand why they would install this after the lift if it's not needed yet. I also agree that the steering box might be shot. Luckily I can order one tomorrow for about $250

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Yes, even with 4" of suspension lift. Older Jeeps (pre-TJ) generally always required dropped Pitman arms, and so do most other 4x4 vehicles... just not the TJ with its improved steering geometry. Few shops understand that so they just install dropped Pitman arms out of habit and/or cluelessness. But rarely would they be correct for a TJ and then only for rare situations like when the driver's side of track bar has also been dropped an equal amount via an aftermarket mounting bracket.

The Pitman arm must match the driver's side track bar mount... both must either be non-dropped or dropped. One being dropped with the other being non-dropped results in bump steer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, even with 4" of suspension lift. Older Jeeps (pre-TJ) generally always required dropped Pitman arms, and so do most other 4x4 vehicles... just not the TJ with its improved steering geometry. Few shops understand that so they just install dropped Pitman arms out of habit and/or cluelessness. But rarely would they be correct for a TJ and then only for rare situations like when the driver's side of track bar has also been dropped an equal amount via an aftermarket mounting bracket.

The Pitman arm must match the driver's side track bar mount... both must either be non-dropped or dropped. One being dropped with the other being non-dropped results in bump steer.
Thanks for the information! Good to know. Hopefully I can get the shop to order me one since nobody around has one...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts