Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
taking my girl wheeling with the group i go with sunday. she is a bit nervous. any tips to help her have fun?

also conditions are extreemly wet and muddy now but we are going into a deep freeze tomorrow so we will be looking at frozen mud with ice(that will crack) and water under it. any tips?? worried about the frozen ruts being super rough.....

·
Registered
981 Posts
I took my wife wheeling. If she is uncomfortable, GO SLOW. do small hills, rocks, etc first. Let her get use to the nose pointing straight into the air on the small steep ones before climbing anything huge.
Mud is always fun, I don't care what anyone thinks. With it being frozen its going to be harder to do depth checks, so be sure to go slow here as well. the ruts shouldn't be a huge deal (the ones hidden under the ice) because they will still be wet and mushy.
Use her as a spotter so she is more than just along for the ride, she is included. Thats not to say tell her to go stand in the middle of the water to see how deep it is, its to say ask her about clearance on her side, etc. LOL.
Thats pretty much how I ran it, the Mrs had a great time and is ready to go back for more.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
My wife likes to go as well, and she is new to it this year. Infact before we got married she has never really been in the woods except for to go quadding but again only with me. She likes it now. I do keep her involved tho. I explain stuff, and she spots for me. I tell her shes my co pilot. She even likes making fun of ppl who "show their ass" on the trail as she calls it. Sadly it usually me :-(

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol thanks guys.... im hoping the ruts are soft the place we go is rutted sooooo bad..... some that will swallow our lead vehicles 38's almost whole lol.....

its supposed to be low of 16 for friday sat so im thinkin the ruts that are not under water will be solid and rough

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
My wife is so busy enjoying herself, watching the scenery, looking for wildlife and taking pictures I don't think she notices how rough the road is. Her motto is "the less traveled road the better"! Only time she ever said anything was the 36 miles each way of washboard gravel on the way to the Racetrack Area of Death Valley (the place where the rocks move by themselves) and it was about 105 degrees.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
First, make sure she has warm enough clothes and something else to change into in case she gets wet. There's not much worse to have sitting next to you while offroad than a wet cold woman. A few blankets are recommended too.

Then, take her to the rear of the Jeep and point to how it is level now... but that offroad, it will often tip a bit to the side. And that even minor tipping may make her feel like the Jeep is going to tip over, but that it's not really. My wife was crying/shrieking/screaming we were going to tip over one day when we were barely tipped at all. Getting her out to look at the Jeep from the back to see it wasn't really tipped much at all calmed her down considerably.

And do take it slow and easy with her, explaining what you're doing and that even feeling like you may get stuck is normal and not a problem. Reassuring her all the time will be really helpful.

Have fun. :)

·
Jeeper
1,282 Posts
Yeah, for starters don't Chadwick it.

Jerry said mostly what I was gonna say. Remember us guys will sit in cold muddy clothes if we are having fun. Most of your women folks WONT have fun if they are sitting in cold wet clothes. And if she does, I recommend stopping by a jewelry shop on the way home to pick up a ring, cause you got a keeper....

·
Registered
1990 Jeep Wrangler 4.2L
378 Posts
Agree with Jerry on the tipping, ascents/descents. My wife loved all the mud, water crossings, etc. but as soon as we started rock crawling a little and going through some ruts she was going crazy. I think I heard "we are going to roll over" 100 times our last trip. Just had to gradually get her comfortable with what the jeep could do. We stopped on a small obstacle once and looked at the jeep and even pushed on it to show how stable it really was.

A little thrill is always good, but if you do some major stuff and petrify her, it'll be her last trip with you.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys all good advise that i think im gunna use. especially the rubber side down and not chadwicking (not that i like to flip or sink when im alone lol)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well thanks for the advise guys. she did good and we will most likely be going next weekend. she still a bit timid and things im going to lay her over at like 15 degrees but shes getting better. she actually wanted to wheel more and hang out/watch/talk with the big built rigs less (so proud) although i really wish i wouldnt have taught her what high centered was because after i got hung up in too deep ruts she made sure to rub it in.....

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol and on the way home she decided a jku would make a suitable replacement for her buick when the time comes :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts