Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When your the first Jeep to go thru a large puddle or body of water for the first time how do you safely get across? Do you get out and check it out or go slow until you think its too deep? just want to do it safely if I ever get into that situation.

·
I'm not lost
1,974 Posts
You let someone else go first. IF they make it you are good to go. If they sink or die then you know to go around :)

seriously

When In doubt you always get out and check it out. When wheeling you will see guys/gals getting out and walking a trail. If I come up on a hill that I have never gone over I always stop and get out and look to see what's on the other side. Same with a body of water. Get a long stick and check it out.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You let someone else go first. IF they make it you are good to go. If they sink or die then you know to go around :)

seriously

When In doubt you always get out and check it out. When wheeling you will see guys/gals getting out and walking a trail. If I come up on a hill that I have never gone over I always stop and get out and look to see what's on the other side. Same with a body of water. Get a long stick and check it out.
Good advice.A trip thats supposed to be fun can turn out deadly in no time.Like the thread about the 2 guys that died of carbon monoxide poisoning while stuck in water/mud.Sad.

·
Registered
811 Posts
If there's any question, I check it out. If there's any serious risk, I check it out very thoroughly.

Checking it out can include walking alongside or wading through the body of water, paying particular attention to the composition of the bottom. I'm really more concerned about that than I am about water depth (though that's a consideration, too)

If there's any doubt that it can be safely traversed, avoid it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you do not want to walk it and check it, back in slowly. This way the front end and engine are higher and if it gets to deep you can pull out forward. I have seen alot of people drop their front ends in holes and drown the engine, worst case ingesting water. Safe thing would be not to try unless no resort

1 - 5 of 5 Posts