Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...this weekend coming up I'm gonna take a trip to Rausch Creek to put the new Rubi to its limits. Who ever owned it before me opted to get Sahara steps for comfort getting aboard instead of keeping the Rubicon rock rails.

So my question is...should I leave the steps on because in reality they will protect the jeeps bottom to an extent...or take them off for more clearance and take the risk of possibly scraping up the unprotected area. I usually tend to wheel my Jeeps a little hard and push them as far as I can without doing real serious damage. So having the extra clearance is a plus...but I dont wanna also come home with a huge rock rash along the bottom sill of the jeeps body. Despite the Rubicon being stock besides the BB lift, I can guarantee I will have this thing down some of the more technical rockier oriented trails.

So take them off and risk it...or leave em on and just scrape up the steps if I have to????

·
Registered
908 Posts
I say leave em, better safe then sorry. If you scratch you can always put a rock under the tire to lift you up a little higher.
Better scratched steps then a dented jeep body.
But you have more experience than i do so im not sure.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
I would leave them. Cheaper to bend them back than do body and paint work. Although if you glitch the body, it will probably just stay that way. At least with the side steps you can change them out later.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
true true...thats what Ive been thinking. I rather scrape up a step than the paint for sure.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
I'm in ageement with the others. Aren't the Sahara steps plastic though? If they are, don't expect much protection from them. You should start looking for some Rubicon take off rails or some aftermarket ones.

If you have the Mopar tube steps, they are at least metal and should afford some protection.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Daggo, I had a sahara with the side steps and I never put a magnet to one but based on their solidness always thought they were metal.

And BTW, I am pretty much giddy to have been able to have a "do over" complements of Chrysler buying my first jeep back....wOOt! :punk:

They made me a super satisfied customer....and the original problem doesn't exist in this one. Thank God. :D

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
You'll crack the plastic if you hit the blacks. Wheeled with a couple folks who thought the same way. They'll protect the sides, but you're quite likely to snap the plastic or bend the metal underneath- they're VERY flimsy- one solid hit, and good night, Irene- Mark W.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts