Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for advice in my previous thread. Jeeps starting to run and handle really great! I finally got to order a true upgrade for my Jeep. Rather than just fixing previous problems. A Warn tire carrier.

Which is what leads me here wanting to confirm a question on wheels. P/O put 1.25" spacers on this jeep. I want to remove them. I've done a lot of Googling and searching on these boards and elsewhere. People say 4.0 to 3.75 should be enough backspace. Leaning towards 3.75. I'm still slightly worried that I might rub. I have no idea which tires (brand) I will upgrade to in the future. But I'd like to be future proof.

Tire size. 35 x 12.50 x 15 (will always stay this size) and 15x8 wheels. Thinking about these. Mostly because of price.

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
yep, 15x8 with 3.75" BS is perfect for a 35x12.5x15 tire

i have 4" bs rims and had to add a single washer to each steering stop to eliminate rubbing.

steel wheels are a no go for me, the added weight and less strength is something i dont want to deal with.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep, 15x8 with 3.75" BS is perfect for a 35x12.5x15 tire

i have 4" bs rims and had to add a single washer to each steering stop to eliminate rubbing.

steel wheels are a no go for me, the added weight and less strength is something i dont want to deal with.

I realize it's not an ideal solution. I just want spacers off of my Jeep. Budget and what I have left to do / replace. Granted I have not looked hard. If there's an option similar in price I'd be open to it. I might look a bit more later. I really can't justify $80 -$100 wheels atm. Spent so much the past few months (thousands) and you can visually barely tell. But it drives a lot better now! Still got to spend a bunch more. Shocks, paint (self),new bumper, winch, Need to remove an old alarm. Not sure what's involved in that. If I need a new wiring harness or. List is much shorter, now though.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I realize it's not an ideal solution. I just want spacers off of my Jeep. Budget and what I have left to do / replace. Granted I have not looked hard. If there's an option similar in price I'd be open to it. I might look a bit more later. I really can't justify $80 -$100 wheels atm. Spent so much the past few months (thousands) and you can visually barely tell. But it drives a lot better now! Still got to spend a bunch more. Shocks, paint (self),new bumper, winch, Need to remove an old alarm. Not sure what's involved in that. If I need a new wiring harness or. List is much shorter, now though.
Don't worry about how it looks right now. It's ok for a jeep to look a little rough. Most do in fact.
" its a macho jeep thing... " Ha ha.

I'd say to get it in good mechanical shape first.
And it sounds like you are putting your money to good use.
But, I'd stay away from those steel wheels though if you wheel on rocks.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Why do you absolutely have to take the wheel spacers off? I run them and I know others do too without problem. I would rather run spacers on stock alloy wheels then run cheap steel wheels which can be hard to balance with large tires and bend easily. I would save up the cash for some new aluminum wheels and run the spacers until then.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why do you absolutely have to take the wheel spacers off? I run them and I know others do too without problem. I would rather run spacers on stock alloy wheels then run cheap steel wheels which can be hard to balance with large tires and bend easily. I would save up the cash for some new aluminum wheels and run the spacers until then.
Because spacers are prone to cause problems. Just another point of failure that I'd rather not deal with in the future. It's also a hassle to pull the wheel off and constantly check them. So I want them off.

I don't do much in it currently no crawling / rocks. I don't know that I will like the way it sits on 3.75. I might want a little less backspace. Maybe 3.25 or something if they make wheels with backspacing like that.

1. Budget!
2. I am not sure that I will like the way it sits on 3.75's or if there will be any issues. Pricey wheels just mean that much bigger of a mistake if I don't like them.
3. I probably have to buy tires closer to dec. I planned on getting better wheels when I got tires.

It already has steal wheels on it from the P/O with Maxxis Buckshots. Which baffles me as to why they got wheels but didn't backspace them correctly?

I don't have a good answer as far as the cheap wheels go. I am scared of a costly mistake (have made a few of those). Which is why I read a lot of topics on this subject but still just wanted to ask. I am considering just buying good wheels now though.

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
going to less backspacing will also cause more stress to your ball joints and unit bearing, which is why most stick to 3.75"-4" bs on rims

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess that I am going to get 5 Procomp 7069's15 x 8 3.75 backspace.
To get rid of spacers, remove the current steel wheels, price, and aesthetically look nice with a matching spare. My current Maxxis Buckshots 35 x 12.50 x 15's still have good tread on them. Hopefully I can find a tire shop to remount and balance those as best they can onto the new wheels. When I went in for an alignment this morning. Firestone said that they wouldn't. Can kinda understand why. I think if there's a no fault agreement between customer and company it shouldn't be a big deal. :S

Kinda pushes my steering box back a month or so. Wasn't planning on paying $450 in wheels this month. Yuck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just installed 15x8" wheels with 3.79 backspacing and 35x13.5 Toyos with a Teraflex Long arm and had to adjust steering a bit...was hitting control arms at full lock. Unfortunately not a lot of options in the 15" wheel size.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm running 35/12.50,15s on 10x15 steel wheels with 3.75 bs and have no rubbing issues. Had no wheels out of round, but did have to send a tire back for that reason. It has a 4" lift also. I couldn't justify the cost of alum. wheels compared to 120.00 for 5 ProComp wheels no center caps or nuts. Spent the savings else where, Does that really count as saving money, uh maybe not but that's what I tell my wife anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts