Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put 35s on my 2014 JKU Willy's. I will be putting on a 2.5" or 3" lift, I just haven't pulled the trigger on the many recommended ones out there.

I originally thought I would do a wheel/tire combo, so that I could switch them out/ back whenever I may want to,... but now I realize that I would never end up doing that and just have to find somewhere to store the unused wheels and tires.... not to mention the added expense...

So with Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals fast approaching I am wondering what you all think?... I am hoping that the stock 17" Rubi wheels on the Willy will accommodate some 35's (maybe KOs?)... If they won't, then I'm buying wheels, but if they do, I think I'll find a shop that will mount them to my stock wheels.

Your input is greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
That's what it boils down to, getting a shop to install them.

Unless you get a pizza cutter then 35's are usually 12.5 (315) wide and the minimum recommended wheel width for that tire is 8" wide so a 7.5" wide oem wheel is far from ideal.

You'll also need wheel spacers or you will get some serious rubbing when turning these are needed when going 285 or wider on the oem wheel. And lastly you won't be able to air down as much without breaking a beed.

I would just get a wheel with proper backspacing ie; 4.5" versus the oem 6.25" and be done with it. A good quality wheel spacer will cost you half as much as getting new wheels anyway and then you can sell your stock wheels/tires which should re-coupe most if not all the money from the new wheels.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I really wanted to keep my stock wheels but I really did not want to use a spacer. Plus, most tire shops wont even touch your wheels/tires if you have spacers on so that is very inconvenient.

I ended up buying wheels. Wheels are about $150 a piece and spacers are around $150. I figure Id rather spend that $150 on a wheel instead of a spacer.

·
Vendor
5,579 Posts
You would actually only need a 1.5" spacer. Which would put you at 4.75" BS. Now if you want some beadlocks, I have these on sale for $210.00 each shipped.

I would prefer you order via PM. But if not the website accepts PayPal.

Have a great day!

Allen

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what it boils down to, getting a shop to install them.

Unless you get a pizza cutter then 35's are usually 12.5 (315) wide and the minimum recommended wheel width for that tire is 8" wide so a 7.5" wide oem wheel is far from ideal.

You'll also need wheel spacers or you will get some serious rubbing when turning these are needed when going 285 or wider on the oem wheel. And lastly you won't be able to air down as much without breaking a beed.

I would just get a wheel with proper backspacing ie; 4.5" versus the oem 6.25" and be done with it. A good quality wheel spacer will cost you half as much as getting new wheels anyway and then you can sell your stock wheels/tires which should re-coupe most if not all the money from the new wheels.

Didn't realize that the stock backspacing is 6.25"... That won't work if I end up with a 2.5" lift.

Wheels it is!!! Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really wanted to keep my stock wheels but I really did not want to use a spacer. Plus, most tire shops wont even touch your wheels/tires if you have spacers on so that is very inconvenient.

I ended up buying wheels. Wheels are about $150 a piece and spacers are around $150. I figure Id rather spend that $150 on a wheel instead of a spacer.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully I can find some similar wheels, since I really like the look of the stock Rubis.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully I can find some similar wheels, since I really like the look of the stock Rubis.
You can run 35's on your stock Willy's rims all day. Many people run 35's on a 7.5" wheel with no issues. I just recently bought 9" wide wheels, but previously ran 35's on my stock Rubi wheels and wheeled the shit out of them, aired down to 10psi, never an issue. Just get 1.5" spacers.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You can run 35's on your stock Willy's rims all day. Many people run 35's on a 7.5" wheel with no issues. I just recently bought 9" wide wheels, but previously ran 35's on my stock Rubi wheels and wheeled the shit out of them, aired down to 10psi, never an issue. Just get 1.5" spacers.
This is true although not recommended, but now get a shop to touch a vehicle with narrower than recommended wheel width for the tire and then wheel spacers to boot. No shop around me will touch that set up so if you can find one that's great but a headache to do so.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
This is true although not recommended, but now get a shop to touch a vehicle with narrower than recommended wheel width for the tire and then wheel spacers to boot. No shop around me will touch that set up so if you can find one that's great but a headache to do so.
Guess it's the luck of the draw as far as shops go. First discount tire I walked into had no problem with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts