Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gearing up for a lift, new tires and wheels and the more I research what wheels I want, the question came up:

For light to moderate off-roading (sand, mud, dirt, water) what material will hold-up/perform better? Steel or Alloy?

·
Banned
3,287 Posts
one is lighter

one bends

one breaks

one is heavier

and one costs less while the other costs more

all subjective and preference

·
Registered
823 Posts
IMO go with alloy wheels. That is what the majority of people run and plenty of people wheel very hard on alloys and don't have a problem. Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
^ I second the alloy, a bit more money but worth not having warped wheels after a short time.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have yet to actually see a rim bent or broken...

Risk assessment goes by not only the criticality of a failure (your alloy breaks vs. a bent steel you can limp home on), but the probability, and in this case, the probability is so freakishly low that it isn't worth considering all that seriously in my book...

steels for cheap at the cost of weight, or alloys for the big bucks and better MPG. Save now or save "long haul". That's really the major factor.

And looks of course :thumb: I wanted the 15's for cheaper rubber and I prefer the "old timer" look, so I got steels in old school simple soft 8 style.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts