Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Bought my brand new 2015 two door wrangler sport a couple of months ago. She's an absolute beauty. First decision was to upgrade my wheels and tires. Went for the MK Classic III with a 17x9 rim with a 4.5" backspace and a -12 offset. Upgraded the tires to BFG 285/70/17.

After the install, I was staring at the wrangler (as I'm sure we all do) and noticed that the driver side (left side) rear and front tire was sicking out more than the right side!!! Difference is about 1cm (close to half an inch).

I have not installed a lift or levelling kit. Everything is absolutely stock other than the wheels and tires. No accidents or any off-roading since the purchase either.

I am heading in for an alignment at my local tire shop tomorrow - but I'm concerned this is more than an alignment issue.

Help please!!!!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
id take it to the dealer first... it shouldnt be anywhere near off alignment on a brand new vehicle. not unless you seriously torqued something with a floor jack, but thats doubtful

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks feereless. Could it be that I need an adjustable track bar (presumably front and rear)? Been reading up on this relentlessly and some forums mention this. But all these forums mention this issue after a lift or levelling kit install. I am surprised that a 285/70/17 would cause a shift this noticeable!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Thanks feereless. Could it be that I need an adjustable track bar (presumably front and rear)? Been reading up on this relentlessly and some forums mention this. But all these forums mention this issue after a lift or levelling kit install. I am surprised that a 285/70/17 would cause a shift this noticeable!
track bar doesnt attach to the wheel, so no, you arent changing geometry really. caster a little bit maybe, but thats not what you are seeing. take it in. or swap back your front two tires n wheels. see if you still see it? just dont drive like that

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yea there's not much you can do, that must just be how that jeep was made. With the axles not centered.
Try swapping the wheels to the other side and see if the offset stays on the same side or moves to the other side, that will tell you if it's the axles not centered or if it's the wheels being different

If that doesn't work then the really only other option is to get adjustable track bars front and rear, the rear would have to be shorter than stock (to move the rear axle more passenger side) the front would have to be longer than stock (to move the front axle toward passenger side)
The problem arises that most all aftermarket track bars are going to be made for lifted jeeps and be longer than stock, and even at the shortest adjustment maybe too long for the front, and for the rear you might have to get something that adjust shorter than stock or have someone do custom length rear track bar.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I wouldn't really worry about it... If you get out a measuring tape you'll see that the passenger side is lower than the driver side most likely.

Go out and wheel it a few times and take before and after measurements. Shiiiit you think 1cm is bad!? Lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I spoke to Jeep today and their maintenance team said this isn't much of an issue. They think "some" bolts need to be loosened and retightened after the wheel and tire install. They didn't say it was normal though.

I will be checking with some friends who haven't yet modded their wranglers to see if this is a natural stock issue.

My concern though is this uneven offset will cause a hazard when driving. I do a lot of highway driving so I don't want this issue to have a domino effect on other components in my wrangler!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
OP, you have awesome sight!

Large wide wheels and tires are undoubtedly going to have a domino effect on the suspension and steering components. Make sure to keep everything torqued.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts