Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Jeep rubicon unlimited 2014 and I always see pictures or actual keeps who have the tires sticking out past the fenders how would I do this to my Jeep what do I need to buy

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
You can do this with wheel spacers or with aftermarket wheels with less back spacing than the factory wheels.
Kinda depends what you want to do with it. If your lifting and going bigger tires I would look at different wheels myself. There are numerous threads on the subject if you look around. I think one is a sticky.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Welcome to the forum I'm pretty new here as well there is a lot of info on here and a lot of knowledge let the search feature be your friend. As far as wheels extending past your fenders, using your stock wheels you would have to install wheel spacers, common ones are the 1.5" spidertrax. The spacers push the mounting surface outwards so your wheels will be past your fenders. It seems a lot of people use them. The other option is aftermarket wheels that have less back spacing. The more back spacing, the tighter the wheel will be under the fender, the less back spacing the further the wheel will extend past. I believe the stock wheel is 6.25"?? And have read the sweet spot is 4.5"-5.2". Either spacers or new wheels will also open up choices to slightly larger wheels. Hope I helped, there are a lot of threads on this if you search the forum

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Certainly as mentioned, the "cheaper" option is wheel spacers with stock wheels.

The more popular (in my opinion), is getting aftermarket wheels.

I personally went with some steel rims and some A/T tires (just to save a bit of money, and still get the 12.5 wide tire I wanted. Cost me a bit, but I'm much happier now than if I were to go with spacers. Something about a nice meaty tire just looks better to me.

But it all comes down to YOU

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you have stock wheels and go the spacers route get a quality set of spacers. Get some that are wheel and hubcentric. This means that they have a lip and will shoulder the weight to the hub and the wheel to the spacer instead of putting all that weight on the studs. I ran a set of Spidertrax 1.5" spacers on my factory Willys Wheeler wheels. The first picture is with the spacers and stock wheels. I went to a set of aftermarket MetalCloak fenders which were a little wider than the factory fenders which tucked the wheels back under and gave it a funky stance. So When I bought wheels I bought 17x9 with 4.50 backspace which poked them back out and it gives it a much wider stance.
First Pic with Spacers and Stock Wheels 35x.12.50x17 tires

Second Pic with New Wheels 35x12.50x17 tires

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but new wheels or spacers alone won't give you that look with stock tires.
My street tires are 34x10.5 on 17x8 wheels with 4.5" backspace. The tires are right at the edge of the flares.
My wheeling tires are 315/70/17 on 17x9 wheels with 4.5" backspace, and the tires stick out a good 2-3 inches past the flares.

So even with 4.5" backspacing, I think you'll need at least a 285 tire to stick out past the flares.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The most common setup for JK's is a 9 inch wide wheel with 4.5 inches of backspacing. Most people are running either a 33x12.50 or 35x12.50 tire with these. Here's a pic of mine with the stock flares to give you an idea of the look. As mentioned, you can get a similar look using 1 1/2" or 2" wheel spacers with the stock wheels.

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Something to keep in mind. Once you push the tires out, you change the handling characteristics - "scrub radius" which will result in possible harder to control panic braking, hitting a puddle with one side at a decent speed (forcing you to pull your steering wheel quickly for correction), and other characteristics. Automobiles from the factory have a specific scrub radius set to maximize handling and braking for optimum safety.

That being said, I run 4.25 backspacing and am aware of the changes/risks. My right front tire once hit a decent sized puddle of water I didn't see until the last second, while doing 45 - 50, and it almost pulled me into the guard rail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_radius

·
Registered
155 Posts
Something to keep in mind. Once you push the tires out, you change the handling characteristics - "scrub radius" which will result in possible harder to control panic braking, hitting a puddle with one side at a decent speed (forcing you to pull your steering wheel quickly for correction), and other characteristics. Automobiles from the factory have a specific scrub radius set to maximize handling and braking for optimum safety.

That being said, I run 4.25 backspacing and am aware of the changes/risks. My right front tire once hit a decent sized puddle of water I didn't see until the last second, while doing 45 - 50, and it almost pulled me into the guard rail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_radius

Is your Jeep lifted?
What lift parts?

I did 34x12 or 305/70r17.
Spidertrac 1.75" wheel spacers
17x9 rims with 4.5 backspacing and -12 offset.

No lift.

Replace the stock 29 inch wheels and the Jeep handles so much better in turns. Stock felt like it wanted to roll over in turns with a stock suspension.

Tuned the JK for 34s cause without a tune the 34s braking and engine braking was horrible. With a tune the engine braking was so much better.

People mess up their Wrangler handling more with cheap lifts that wear out parts.

Same issue with big tires?

I just think the benefits of a wide stance might out weigh the quoted issue, but thanks for the heads up on the handling issue.

ForumRunner_20170516_204507.jpg

ForumRunner_20170516_204507.jpg

Attachments

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
I did 34x12 or 305/70r17.
Spidertrac 1.75" wheel spacers
17x9 rims with 4.5 backspacing and -12 offset.

No lift.

Replace the stock 29 inch wheels and the Jeep handles so much better in turns. Stock felt like it wanted to roll over in turns with a stock suspension.

Tuned the JK for 34s cause without a tune the 34s braking and engine braking was horrible. With a tune the engine braking was so much better.

People mess up their Wrangler handling more with cheap lifts that wear out parts. Same issue with big tires?

I just think the benefits of a wide stance.might out weigh that, but thanks for the heads up on the handling issue.

View attachment 3593546

View attachment 3593546

Agreed. My wife's is stock, and hers does not handle like mine. Now, I do have the Hellwig rear anti-sway bar installed, that made a significant difference in cornering and stability. But with a wider stance, I think you have less chance of a rollover. I also have no lift, but a leveling puck up front. I like having a low center of gravity. The largest tire I'll likely run would be 285/70/17. I'm currently on 275/70/17.

Bottom line, once we all start making any changes, we have to be aware of possible consequences.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mines stick out due to being aftermarket wheels. They look good but if you have painted fenders the rear fenders will end up pitted due to rocks and debris flying from the wheels sticking out. My fenders have pits from rocks and a few little knicks on the side panels. You gotta pay to play though lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts