Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was getting the jeep washed the other day and the car wash attendant stopped me and said "you know those wheels aren't legal and you're not going to be able to get that registered". Knowing that this guy, being a car wash attendant, must know I got all freaked out and put my new rims and 33's on cl right away so the coppers don't arrest me and impound my jeep.

Has anyone actually had an issue getting a registration? There's only about 1.5" outside the flare

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Title was supposed to read too wide. Damn iPhone

·
Registered
536 Posts
most places have laws against having wheels stick out past the fender flare! the reason is simple, all the junk your tires pick up flies into the person behind you! in wet conditions and especially in snow/slush conditions with gravel on the road, it can be VERY annoying if someone is a douche!

·
Registered
927 Posts
You can register it no problem but you could have a problem when you have your yearly inspection. MA is pretty tough.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
You could always do mud flaps. If only for inspection. ;). I've been told in CT that my fenders are illegal by two cops, but neither cared or actually knew the law.

·
Registered
927 Posts
You could always do mud flaps. If only for inspection. ;). I've been told in CT that my fenders are illegal by two cops, but neither cared or actually knew the law.
I doubt mudflaps would make any difference, in MA they cannot extend beyond the edge of the fenders.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I'm no law expert & don't live in MA, but I do believe MA states specifically that mud flaps are ok. Certainly don't trust me - but it shouldn't be a hard google search to find the actual law. Or call the DMV.

Wait, here (interpret it how you will):
http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/Ge...ter90/Section7

Every motor vehicle or trailer, excepting passenger motor vehicles, operated in or upon any way shall be equipped with suitable guards which will effectively reduce the spray or splash to the rear of mud, water or slush caused by the rear wheels thereof. Every passenger motor vehicle which is equipped with tires which extend beyond the fenders or body of such vehicle and which is operated in or upon any way shall be equipped with flaps or suitable guards to reduce such spray or splash to the rear and sides

Personally I'd be more worried about the MA law that says you can't lift over 2 inches. ;) At least I've heard that's a law...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apparently the Car wash dude knows what he's talking about but there are plenty of jeeps in the area with more exposed rubber, bigger lifts, etc so he may know more than the inspectors. Or at least cares more.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bloodfart said:
most places have laws against having wheels stick out past the fender flare! the reason is simple, all the junk your tires pick up flies into the person behind you! in wet conditions and especially in snow/slush conditions with gravel on the road, it can be VERY annoying if someone is a douche!
I love looking out the side windows just after a rain and seeing the rooster tail. I can't wait for the first snow fall this winter. The thought of throwing that shit all over just makes me all tingly inside.
:p

·
Registered
63 Posts
In Pa you can't get it inspected "legally" with tires out past the fenders. I never had a problem getting a sticker myself you just need to know where to go. I traded in an 01 tj for my 13 jk.The dealer asked me where I got it inspected. He said we can't inspect your jeep with the tire sticking out like that. I knew I wouldn't be taking my new one back to the dealer for inspection as I put 33's on it when I got it home.They stick out about 2".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts