Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm interested in buying a used jeep. I know they have improved the rough ride they used to be known for but I don't what year they started making them with a smoother ride.

Also, what is the known mileage they can get up to (pre-overhaul)?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
A tj rides a little better than a yj because it's coil over set up.A tj is 1997-2006:D If you want a smooth riding car don't get a jeep.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's something else I wanted to ask: what are the main differences to the TJ, YJ...? Can anyone sum up easliy?

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
yj: leaf springs, square headlights

tj: coil springs, round headlight.

i had a YJ and two TJs. in my opinion the TJ is much more comfortable and better if you want to use it as a daily driver.
but most of the people with YJs say that the TJ is for girls and not a real jeep.

:D :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what about putting a long arm lift and OME suspension on an old 1997 TJ? Will that still make the ride as good as a 2000+ TJ?

Also, how is a CJ different from the others?

Woo-hooo!!!! I'm getting really juiced to buy one now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
longarms with relocated mount points aren´t necessary with an OME lift.
i would do that only with +4" of lift.

only OME springs and shocks make the ride much better and smoother. some adjustable CAs make it a bit better on the road and much better off teh road.

if you drive on the road´most the time and only sometimes off the road this wil be enough:
http://northridge4x4.com/proddetail.php?prod=OME-25-HDLIFT

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
This is a COILOVER:

This is a TJ COIL SPRING:
I don't know while I put coil over I wasn't thinking right.:chair:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
If ride quality is a high priority for you, but you still have to have a Wrangler, then I would suggest going with the new 2007 Wrangler Unlimited 4 door. The extra wheelbase gives it a smoother ride. Personally I think it rides the best out of all of the wrangler years.

Now if you're looking for something a little less harsh on the wallet, then I would look at a Wrangler TJ, which is a 1997-2006 Wrangler. They use coil springs instead of a leaf spring suspension and it is a bit better, however it'll still rattle your kidneys after a while.

The best advice I can give you is to go out and take a bunch of test drives to find the right Wrangler for you, since everyone's opinion is different.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts