Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
If you are like most people you wait until the first big snow and then scramble into the tire shop in a panic with white knuckles and fear in your eyes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't it a bit too early? Cause I've read somewhere that winter tire compound would wear faster at temperatures above 32K...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are like most people you wait until the first big snow and then scramble into the tire shop in a panic with white knuckles and fear in your eyes.
Or you just swap the wheels without ever leaving your garage, and that is AFTER you finish your coffee...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Isn't it a bit too early? Cause I've read somewhere that winter tire compound would wear faster at temperatures above 32K...
Not sure about VT, but we got some light snow yesterday. I would say it is time. You have to weigh traction vs a little wear. I would rather have the security vs a little extra wear.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
This is true but you have to consider why you are installing winter tires to begin with: traction and safety. The same thing applies to MT tires, although they are often installed just for appearance. MT tires tread life is also reduced on the road.

·
Super Moderator
22,035 Posts
best time to install winter tires is after your first accident then you know it is time.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Normally, the general rule I always tell people is Thanksgiving to Tax Day. This may vary if you live in an area where the snow comes early (like the 4" we got this week), in which case you just put them on the night before the first snowfall.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I don't know where you live but really you should just do it by the time of the year. Here if you are not winter ready by the end of October then you are likely going to be caught with your pants down. It could be warm but the next day we could drop 30 degrees and have snow. I used to work in a tire shop when I was younger and it never ceased to amaze me how many people would leave it until it was too late then expect to get in right away.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As a rule of thumb, I install them when daily average temperature drops below 40 on 3 consecutive days.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Hello,

Could anyone tell me when do you install winter tires please?

Thanks.
Right after ya get stuck in a snow drift!!!!! Or mebee just before!! Lolol

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I put my Duratracs on some time in June of 2013. Been running them ever since. Great in snow. Good enough for the rest of the year. And I don't have to have money tied up in two sets of expensive tires.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts