Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just suspension lifts,when will a TJ start becoming less fun to drive on road?Now Im just talking a suspension lift.2in,2.5in?

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya.Jeeps are always fun but there must be a point where you say,maybe I shouldent have went so much.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
There's a guy on here that is running 35s with a puck and saw job--maybe springs also---he still loves to drive it--but gas kills him on the drive into work

·
Registered
816 Posts
I run 36s with a 2" BB. Gas tanks go fast as always, haven't measured my current MPG as my speedo has been off. Still drives nice on the streets with the exception of road noise. I just turn up the radio and it drains the other noises out. I still consider it fun to drive on the roads because of all the looks I get, and I have it set up how I like it. You just need to realize that you aren't drive a fast car by any means so don't expect it to handle like one.

EDIT: I also run no front swaybar and have no issues on the highway up to 65mph. I tend not to go faster then that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I run 4" springs 1" spacers and 1" body lift. Have the savvy aluminum arms, anti-rock, adjustable track bars, rustys steering conversion, fox shocks, 35x13.5 tires and it drives awesome. Just as good as stock, well maybe a little more body lean. Everything is tight no wandering.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,826 Posts
Your lift and tires can get pretty big and still provide a good ride together with good handling. My TJ has a 4" suspension lift, 1" body lift, and 35" tires and it drives through the mountains like it is on rails. Good ride too. It all depends on your choice of shock absorber, tire and tire pressure, and to a slightly lesser extent (because most springs have similar stiffnesses) the stiffness of your springs.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess the shocks play a huge part.I guess dealing with vibes the correct way is the pita part.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what Ive been researching EMU is top on the list of quality stuff & best ride.I think Im going that route.So many freakin choices!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It also depends on what kind of tires you have too. I had 33" Cooper Discoverers on my Tj before I did all the work to it. That thing would be all over the road. Now I have some 35" BFG ATs and it rides straight as an arrow.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
100,000 miles later and I still love my jeep as much as I hate it. It rides
Ike well.....a jeep. It is fun as hell but it's not the smoothest or oat comfortable ride in the world. But again, that's not why I have it. My 2" BB and 31's is starting to wear things out after 85,000 miles so it might be getting a little sloppy now. Not sure if that helps.

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
I'm running on my 97 a Rancho 2.5" lift and a 1.25" body lift and 1"MML on 33x10.50 BFGs and 4.56 gears on a manual 5 speed with a 4.0 Drives as good or better than when it was stock with 31"s. Drive it every day. Gad milage about 14 or so. Between the regear (had wimpy 3.07 and going to 33"s I lost about 1 mile per Gallon on avg. Didn't buy it for mileage though. Traded in my truck that got 8-10. LOL :thumb:

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Quality components and some knowledge on how to properly setup the suspension are key. You don't realize how crappy a stock TJ drives until you get rid of all the excessive movement and "loosey goosey" behavior. My rig drives several times better in terms of ride quality, handling, braking, steering, and acceleration on 35's.....and it wheels just a bit better, too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the Old Man Emu 2 1/2" kit and my TJ rides and handles much better than stock. Buy quality components and you will not be disappointed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts