Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here to the forums as well as to the Jeep culture and recently placed an order for a 2016 JKUR.

Since deciding to buy my JK I have been obsessed with this forum as well as looking for every Wrangler video I can find on YouTube. I've mostly been impressed with the lengths to which folks modify their jeeps to do mind blowing things.

Which got me to wondering, "When is a Jeep no longer a Jeep?"

By this I mean, after changing out axels, engines, wheels & tires, bumpers, suspension/long arm lifts, tops, radios, you name it, can these rigs still be considered a "Jeep" per se?

Not taking anything away from the folks that modify these amazing machines, just a question coming from someone not all that familiar with the Jeep lifestyle.

So what makes a Jeep a Jeep and when do they cross over into something different (entirely maybe)?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
To me it's still a jeep if it has a jeep front clip, or hood and grill. The rest can be pure buggy with custom everything. But with a hood and grill I'll recognize it as a jeep.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'd say once a jeep always a jeep. It never looses that.

Actually I think a lot of the upgrades people do make them even better than Jeep did. Just think of all the modifications military guys must have had to do to their WW2 jeeps to get them where they needed. I'm sure they didn't all get retired from war in stock form.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Its always going to be a Jeep but they always may not be a "stock" Jeep.
7 holes in the grill, solid axles and a large thirst for your money is s Jeep.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
When FCA sends you a cease and desist letter.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I am getting there, about 10% of my weight is Ford, another 10% of my weight is GM.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I agree that once a Jeep, always a Jeep.

I think the part of the appeal of buying a Jeep as opposed to something else that is off road capable is the ability to modify and customize it as your own.

One thing that I noticed before I actually bought mine was that there are very few Jeeps on the road (at least in my area) that are 100% stock. It seems that every one on the road as been customized in order to make it unique to it's owner... the level of the customization probably has more to do with available funds and the abilities/ skills of the owner.

Exco

·
Registered
168 Posts
This reminds me of the "boat problem" in philosophy.
A man owns a boat, and replaces one piece of decking. Is it the same boat? Most people will answer yes.
So over the years, he ends up replacing every single piece of the boat. Is it still the same boat? People will have mixed answers.
For those who argue that it is still the same boat, it is revealed that each time the man replaced a piece, he retained the original piece. And now he reassembles all the original pieces. So which is the original boat?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Some of the extreme crawl competitions I would have to say are entirely custom and not really Jeeps or Broncos anymore - more just custom 4x4's. Similar to NASCAR Monte Carlos...really? Because the sheet metal has a printed Monte Carlo emblem...?

Same thing goes to one of my favorite motor sports: Formula Drift. Guys are dropping Corvette series LS engines in Nissan 240s, completely re-building the car inside and out, etc. While I think they're awesome cars- they're not in my opinion 240s anymore.

On a side note, you sound like all these cliche car commercials for the last decade: "When is a car, MORE than a car....." - idk, maybe when it has a fiberglass hull and floats?

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
This reminds me of the "boat problem" in philosophy.
A man owns a boat, and replaces one piece of decking. Is it the same boat? Most people will answer yes.
So over the years, he ends up replacing every single piece of the boat. Is it still the same boat? People will have mixed answers.
For those who argue that it is still the same boat, it is revealed that each time the man replaced a piece, he retained the original piece. And now he reassembles all the original pieces. So which is the original boat?
I built my own gaming PC, every year or so I upgrade.

I realized I now have my original gaming PC, it is just in parts in a box.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What really sent me down this train of thought was seeing a double headed jk on the Motortrend YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/ZULcHTnZs4Q

Not saying this falls into the category of my original premise, but it definitely makes one wonder.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My thought is that the more mods you make, the more capable it becomes, the more it becomes a Jeep.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
If you can look at it across the street and determine it was a Jeep, then it is still. I have the same question about models. When is Willys not a Willys? The only exterior thing on it is the $x$ sticker on the tailgate.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The moment a rap star or Kardouchian drives one that vehicle is a neutered piece of junk, also when anyone puts on 22" rims. So please spay and neuter your Kardouchians.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
IMO, A Jeep is always a Jeep but it only becomes "Your" Jeep after you have made your own modifications.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts