Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I has the proud owner of a 2013 JKU for about 2 years. Top never stopped leaking so Chrysler bought it back and instead of opting for a new Wrangler, I took a break and got a 4Runner. Now I'm back to missing the Jeep experience and am going back into the market but have a problem:

I ALWAYS wanted a Mango Tango JKU. When I was in the market in 2013 it wasn't available and I got sucked into the 3.6 is better, new is better, etc.

This time, is different. I will only be buying a Mango Tango. The problem is, I know I will have the 3.8, but I plan on re-gearing anyway, so I can help it a bit there. I really liked the creature comforts of the 2011 versus years prior, so my first choice is a 2011 Rubicon. Hard to find around here, but there are a couple of 2011 Saharas.

Knowing the end goal is 3-4" lift and 35" tires, I will have to re-gear either one. As for the lockers, Rubicon has the edge, but how about a Sahara with adding an ARB?

This will be for moderate, but not extreme wheeling. Do you see any problem with just going Sahara and adding the locker when I lift and re-gear? I know the transfer case isn't as low, but I won't be doing a ton of rock climbing.

I suppose I'm looking for any input on major drawbacks to trying to build up a Sahara, given the scarcity of the year and color that I'm after.

Anyone else go through this?

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
I own a Rubicon 2-door and a Sahara 4-door: I added a rear TrueTrac LSD, some Duratrac tires to my Sahara and am super happy with it as an all-weather, long-distance family hauler.

I use the Rubicon to do more hard core stuff on the trail.

My Sahara on a 4,200-mile winter holiday through Montana, Idaho and British Columbia. It eats up the miles regardless of weather.

My Rubicon on a trail in the California Eastern Sierras

·
Registered
349 Posts
When I bought my orange crush a year ago, the dealer said something to the effect of "these orange Jeeps are strange - some people love them and some hate them. I have a waiting list of people who want mango tango right now!". So you obviously know what you want and already tried the 3.6 motor which I would normally try to talk someone out of going back to the 3.8. That said, the Rubicons always, always hold their value better especially in an area of the country where people actually wheel. I like ARB lockers, but I prefer the OEM lockers when they're available like in Jeeps and Toyotas. Since you're limiting your search to a rare color and specific year, I think you'll be lucky to find both a Sahara and a Rubicon to choose from, but I would go Rubicon if you can find it.

·
Premium Member
7,469 Posts
I ALWAYS wanted a Mango Tango JKU. When I was in the market in 2013 it wasn't available and I got sucked into the 3.6 is better, new is better, etc.
The 3.6 has 83 more hp, among other improvements. I don't know why anyone would want to take a step backward to the 3.8 but it's your Jeep.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
The 3.6 has 83 more hp, among other improvements. I don't know why anyone would want to take a step backward to the 3.8 but it's your Jeep.
Word! I don't think I'd demand a certain color at the expense of all the advantages of a 2012+ Wrangler. That's just me though.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Word! I don't think I'd demand a certain color at the expense of all the advantages of a 2012+ Wrangler. That's just me though.
I know it doesn't make sense to a lot of people. There is just something that makes me SO HAPPY when I see a Mango Tango Jeep. I had an awesome 2013 Commando Green and it was great except for the leaks. Although I really liked it, I still didn't get that warm fuzzy all over that I get from Mango Tango. If they were bringing it back for a special edition, I'd jump on it, but it really looks like the color ship has sailed on it and so I must go back in time to 2011 or earlier.

Either that or get some new meds.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'll sell you the family Rubicon with a power softop and street tires. Let the bidding begin at 40k.

image-1034338206.jpg

For just moderate off-roading I wouldn't sweat the trim, finding one in great condition nearby will be hard enough.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I own a Rubicon 2-door and a Sahara 4-door: I added a rear TrueTrac LSD, some Duratrac tires to my Sahara and am super happy with it as an all-weather, long-distance family hauler. I use the Rubicon to do more hard core stuff on the trail. My Sahara on a 4,200-mile winter holiday through Montana, Idaho and British Columbia. It eats up the miles regardless of weather. My Rubicon on a trail in the California Eastern Sierras
Sweet pics Aldo!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I own a Rubicon 2-door and a Sahara 4-door: I added a rear TrueTrac LSD, some Duratrac tires to my Sahara and am super happy with it as an all-weather, long-distance family hauler.

My Sahara on a 4,200-mile winter holiday through Montana, Idaho and British Columbia. It eats up the miles regardless of weather.

That's an epic trip/view. My jeeps world is pretty flat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Did the 2011 sahara get the BLD?

Even without a locker i cant see you struggling on moderate stuff.

My sahara can climb until the coolant is spewing out due to angle.

·
Registered
195 Posts

Hell yes, that's awesome!! Is that the road to Laurel lake near Mammoth?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only way to go is get the newer JK with the 3.6 and paint it the color you like.
Best scenario all around.
I did think about that, but I have never seen a very good quality total repaint. I plan on keeping a close eye on the market for a bit and hope something becomes available within a reasonable distance.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Hell yes, that's awesome!! Is that the road to Laurel lake near Mammoth?
Exactly! Good eye.

Took that pic last Thanksgiving.
Didn't even notice. I was up there last summer. I've got a video posted on YouTube

https://youtu.be/38FnZ--0Vhc

Sorry for the thread jack :D

I know it doesn't make sense to a lot of people. There is just something that makes me SO HAPPY when I see a Mango Tango Jeep. I had an awesome 2013 Commando Green and it was great except for the leaks. Although I really liked it, I still didn't get that warm fuzzy all over that I get from Mango Tango. If they were bringing it back for a special edition, I'd jump on it, but it really looks like the color ship has sailed on it and so I must go back in time to 2011 or earlier.

Either that or get some new meds.
Hey, do what you want. It's your Jeep and if it makes you happy, that's all that matters. Heck, most my mods are for looks anyway. I could go the places I want to go in a stock Sport for the most part.

If I we're you, I'd look for a Rubicon. I'm not sure the Sahara has much to offer beyond trim and the Rubicon is trimmed out pretty nice in addition to all the off road goodies.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Funny that I am seeing this today. We are looking to trade our 11 Silver Sport and I ran across the "darker orange" in a 14. Is that not Mango Tango?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe I missed it, but how about painting a 3.6l equipped Rubi?
I just don't think it would be worthwhile. If I am fortunate enough to find a 2011 Rubicon at least I would have the updated interior. Should be easier to re-gear too.

Planning on giving it a month or so of looking. Maybe I'll get lucky.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts