Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not an experienced wheeler and am looking at trying black bear pass in Colorado. It's not technical from what I read, more scary if anything. I don't have on board air, so airing down is a problem. Do you need to air down for a trail like that? If I did, do any of you guys carry an air compressor with you? What psi is ideal? Thanks

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
I drive on the road at 8-10 psi all the time just keep it under 40. You can also pick up the q-industries compressor a lot of guys run. It's small and slow but for 50 bucks can't complain. I would go down to ~12 at the trail head, and drive slow to the closest gas station with air, or buy the compressor until you save up for OBA.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I run 10 psi in mine. Carry a smittybilt 5.6cfm portable air compressor...$150 bucks. Airs my 35's back up to 32psi in about 20 to 30 min.

There are 2 reasons I air down.

1. traction
2. ride comfort

The JK's rides is a lot nicer than my TJ so you may not need to air down sooo far.
Try it at normal pressure and C. You can always air down if you need too

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've got a Vlair 400P. I'm back to street pressure in under 15min.

I've found it to be really convenient too when topping off trailer tires and filling kids inflatables.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you don't have time to have one shipped or even if you do http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005Z8HAUK/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1376079855&sr=1-5&pi=SL75

Picked mine up at Autozone on the way out to an offroad trip that I didn't have time to ship one beforehand

This one is compact, has dual cylinders, and I can take the stock rubicon tires from 18psi to 32psi in less than 10 or at max maybe 3 - 4 minutes a tire to get up to 40 (so the tpms light doesn't stay on)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Airing Down

The last two runs with my Jeep Club has been on FR roads that any car could go down. Most of the club airs down. Not me. I run KM2's at 32 PSI on the road and with my lift, suspension and tires, the ride is just as good if not better then factory. For going down dirt roads, forget it. When I am doing some moderate stuff, I'll air down.

·
Super Moderator
9,598 Posts
Everybody seems to be focused on AIRING UP, I personally use CO2 and works great for me. I always air down regardless of how hard or easy (Fire Roads) the trail. Ride quality,traction, easier on the suspension and on rocky trails the tires tend to flex around the rocks rather than get cut on them.

The OP asked when to air down but with that also goes...HOW do you air down? Are you the person that uses sticks or keys and everyone is waiting on? :cool: Just something to also consider... I've tried the Staun style deflators and well I wasn't really impressed So I bought a set of these:
Oasis Trailhead Tire Deflator Kit 5PSI to 20PSI Blue | eBay

They work great, adjust with an allen wrench (provided) and are Very consistent with regards to dropping pressure to desired pressure. I do run Trail Ready Beadlocks so I air down to 6-8#. But before the BL's I aired down to 9-11# without any problems. I personally don't think you're airing down unless you're below that 10-13# range.... Just my opinion...Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Yes, air down on Black Bear. I run 10-12 psi on my 35s. That steep section is now pretty loose too, so airing down will help.

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,598 Posts
Do these stop at a certain pressure?
Yes, the set screw turns in an out to set pressure. I set mine for 8# based on the chart that comes with them. It was within a pound, a little fine tuning and they are accurate to a pound or so. I did put just a LITTLE blue locktite on the set screw because it would vibrate loose while in the tool box, worked great. Like anything mechanical or female:D you're going to have an occasional issue but nothing that can't be dealt with...

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Yeah, deflators are very useful and saves you a lot of time and bending over, Just make sure you have a way to air back up in case one messes up and takes you lower. Sometimes I will air down to 10 but if I know I have to get on highways for an hour or two back till I wheel the next day, I will just air up to 18-20 to feel safer at speed. Then I go back down to 10 the next day and repeat. I do this on multi-day trips and only if I need to get on pavement for a while and/or get to over 55 MPH.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
The last two runs with my Jeep Club has been on FR roads that any car could go down. Most of the club airs down. Not me. I run KM2's at 32 PSI on the road and with my lift, suspension and tires, the ride is just as good if not better then factory. For going down dirt roads, forget it. When I am doing some moderate stuff, I'll air down.
What am I missing here. Why would most people air down on dirt roads? Maybe these are folks who are not used to seeing these kinds of roads? Personally I drive thousands of miles a year down roads that you arnt going to take cars or even two wheel drive trucks down but I damned sure ant going to get out and air down when I drive one.

·
Super Moderator
9,598 Posts
Here in CO a lot of Backcountry Fire Roads that are extremely washboarded. County RARELY grades them so the just beat the crap out of suspension and occupants. Airing here anyway solely for comfort on these type of roads....
I hear what you're saying though....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts