Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I replaced my fuel pump in the 97 Tj and was excited to get it dependable again. I then noticed after reinstalling the tank that my tires could use some attention. They were starting to get a little low on tread and in the premature stages of dry rot(starting to get small cracks around tread blocks). I found a killer deal on 4 Mickey Thompson mtzs and drove 1.5 hrs each way to get these puppies. Now I am thinking about upgrading my rear axle to something more beefier(leaking a little from the pinion seal....even after trying to replace once already). But hey if I do that ill want a better gearing for my 33s. CRAP!!! IF I CHANGE MY REAR GEARS I NEED TO CHANGE THE FRONT GEARS. Is it time for the high pinion Dana 30? Might as well since it makes more sense since this is a stinger higher clearance axle. Now that we are on the subject of upgrading, what about that little budget boost I have that forces my beefy shoes into the fenders....I wouldn't want to get anything other than a long arm for the nice ride on road and overall smooth operation. And those seats are getting mighty tired after 15 years of use. Some nice new bucket seats would look sharp and I probably wouldn't sink 6 inches into the seat when I climb into the rig. Speaking of climbing in, some rock sliders would be nice with a step to heave my arse into this thing......and.....and......and.....

And it doesn't end. You get tires and your screwed! Thanks for listening to my Tj rant! Someday thins thing will be exactly the way I want it. But you know, by then ill need new tires again!

·
Registered
354 Posts
The joy of modding a TJ is that it never ends. Just cycles around again, haha. Also a good way to lighten your pockets of their heavy load. I feel ya! Same situation, here. But that's part of what makes it so fun. :)

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I went through the exact same thing.
I finaly gave in and went to East Coast Gear and had them roll out the D 35 and roll in the 8.8 with 4.10's, while they were at it they installed a 3 inch lift and I put on 33's.

Now I just gotta sell a bunch of stuff to pay for it all...lol

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NC Bear said:
I know exactly what you mean. I went through the exact same thing.
I finaly gave in and went to East Coast Gear and had them roll out the D 35 and roll in the 8.8 with 4.10's, while they were at it they installed a 3 inch lift and I put on 33's.

Now I just gotta sell a bunch of stuff to pay for it all...lol
What gears did you have before you changed? I've got 3.07

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I also had 3.07 the regear was a huge improvement. It sure was peppy with the 28's and 4.10's on the way to Discount Tire in Durham...now with the 33's I can't notice a change in peppy....lol

I was averaging 15 MPG in the city with 28 inch TAKO and steel wheels
went to 4.10 and 33 12.50 TAKO and alloy wheels and I get 14 MPG in the city...

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
oh and the 33's with alloy's weigh the same as the 235 75 and steel wheel combo as per the fishing scale. (55 pounds give or take)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts