Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a TJ and I've noticed a lot of low mile TJs at these dealerships. It's hard to believe there are this many low mile TJs, and it leads me to think there is something that the dealers are doing that isn't quite authetic. When I say low miles, these are less than 75,000 miles. Are there that many people who bought TJs and didn't drive them and are now selling to dealers or is there something else going on?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Probably just people that owned the TJ to flat tow around the country. But the mileage is stored in both the cluster and computer so I guess they could swap clusters from a wrecked low mileage TJ to the older one But unlikely. Miles are kinda irrelevant imo as the jeep is already 20 years old and will still need parts replaced.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I bought my lj with ~25 k on it from a friend who was to large to enjoy being in the Jeep for very long. I bought it from him when I needed a vehicle 'casue I hit a deer with my little pickup. His jeep was my cheapest way into a low milage 4x4 at the time. I have barely driven the Jeep sine I got it in 2016 - a few thousand miles a year, mostly a grocery getter on nice days, with maybe two or three trips up the hills behind my house. I like working on mechanical things, and the 2005 jeep needed enough factory corrections and simple maintenance to satisfy that. So now a 2005 Jeep w/ just over 45k. They are out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sold my '97 TJ to a buddy a couple of years ago, and IIRC had only around 50k miles on it. I just didn't drive it much (motorcycle was my commuter).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am going to go with the "bought it and didn't drive it much" answer. We recently purchased a 2005 TJ with just 91,000 miles on it. No rock rash at all, no mud caked up anywhere so this had to be a N.E. FL grocery getter and beach cruiser.

Has a Rough Country lift on it and so just about any other vehicle out there rides smoother and quieter. May the previous owners didn't feel like being rugged enough for it to be a daily driver.

A little rust and bodywork involving the driver side rear so it may have been wrecked and just sat for a while without being driven. No way to know for sure.

Working my way through checking/replacing everything:
The front diff fluid looked pristine.
The rear diff fluid was to dark like it was original 2005 gear lube
The ATF+4 in the T-case looked old and worn out like it was original 2005 fluid.

I bet you that 75% or more of the people out there driving a Jeep are owners and drivers but that is about it. They are NOT "Jeep Guys" or "Jeep Girls" that work hard to find an excuse/place to trail ride and spend hours on weekends turning wrenches on their Jeeps.

John

·
Registered
15,429 Posts
Probably just people that owned the TJ to flat tow around the country. But the mileage is stored in both the cluster and computer so I guess they could swap clusters from a wrecked low mileage TJ to the older one But unlikely. Miles are kinda irrelevant imo as the jeep is already 20 years old and will still need parts replaced.
Nope for TJ mileage is only stored in cluster

Hence when you buy a pcm programmed for your TJ they need vin so that skim will be happy but they do not need mileage as it is NOT stored in pcm on TJ

My 98 TJ sport still has under 40k miles but it ain’t for sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
One way someone can change cluster odometer
Yes and no. Mileage is also stored in PCM. So if you have proper tools you can check whether it matches the cluster.
The same with VIN. For 98-02 TJ VIN is stored in teh EEprom. For 2002+ TJ it is more complicated.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'm looking to buy a TJ and I've noticed a lot of low mile TJs at these dealerships. It's hard to believe there are this many low mile TJs, and it leads me to think there is something that the dealers are doing that isn't quite authetic. When I say low miles, these are less than 75,000 miles. Are there that many people who bought TJs and didn't drive them and are now selling to dealers or is there something else going on?
Retired people buy them and then don't use them because their health is failing or some other reason. By the time they die in a nursing home its 15 years later and the dealer buys the Jeep at an estate sale, auction or trading from one of the heirs.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Are there that many people who bought TJs and didn't drive them and are now selling to dealers or is there something else going on?
To give you another perspective, a lot of folks bought TJ's (and continue to buy wranglers) as a second vehicle. When I was in high school I used to prep new '02-'03 Wranglers for sale and we encountered a lot of older buyers who purchased these as a secondary driver or to tow behind their RV. Jeep made a lot of TJ's so I'm not surprised low mileage examples continue to pop up.

You should check out Collins Bros as they usually have some nice low mileage TJ's

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a 2005 LJ, Red. Just a few ticks over 60K. Bought it with about 50k on it. Purchased from my parents who bought it new. It has a OME lift on it, SYE and DC shaft, and I just spent money replacing rear main seal, the original exhaust, valve cover gasket and some other stuff. I'm probably going to sell it because I don't use it all that much. No rust on it, stored indoors through the winter. I have two people I promised dibs on, after that, I'll probably put it up on the market here and local.

·
Premium Member
8,221 Posts
Teresa A - This is a situation where a CarFax may come in handy. Many times when the vehicle is re-registered, some locations ask for the mileage and that becomes part of the record. It will also tell you where the Jeep has been.

That being said, prices right now on used vehicles are crazy. If it is an LJ (TJ Unlimited or Long Jeep) they go for more than the regular TJ, but $22K is still a lot more than most would pay. If it were bone stock and garage kept, it might approach that.

We would have to know more details about it. It would also be prudent to do a thorough inspection, especially underneath, and most certainly if it is not a southern or southwestern Jeep.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You never know, my 2005 Rubicon is now at like 46k miles. I bought it new and quickly realized mods and daily driving + the gas mileage was not the best combo, so it's been a second/fun vehicle nearly the entire time. I'm sure there are plenty of the same out there.

·
Registered
626 Posts
My '03 TJ has about 65,000 miles on it because it's dedicated to hunting. I need it for that offroad purpose.

When I tow my travel trailer, I use my '96 F250 diesel, which has around 75,000 miles on it. It's great for towing such heavy loads.

When I go on a road trip, I use my '15 Mazda3, which has 40,000 miles on it. It's great for long trips because it has averaged 44MPG over the miles I've put on it, as recorded in my Fuelly account.

I bought each of my vehicles brand new, and they are used as I've described as specialty vehicles. As such, they aren't interchangeable to any satisfactory degree.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts