Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting up to flat tow new JL behind RV. I have successfully mounted Maximus-3 tow loops and will install RVI brake system and CoolTechLLC wiring harness. I need advice on best location(s) others have used to mount/secure the 6-pin receiver on or near front bumper. I have stock bumper (plastic with steel behind it, tow hooks). Thanks for help from community.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I flat tow my JLUR behind my super c. I use the MOPAR harness as it is plug and play, no splicing of wires. The plug end has a mount to attach it to the top of the bumper. You then connect the 7 pin cable to the plug on the bumper and to the rv. I use the ready brute tow bar with integrated brake system. Also replaced the front bumper with the Rock Hard aluminum bumper with integrated tow points.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
It should. Depending on exactly where you mount it you can drill into the metal backing of the plastic bumper or put a washer below the plastic and use that to reenforce the mounting,

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess a main question I have is whether attaching it to the plastic bumper will work well
I would not. Just my $0.02 worth. I have been flat towing my JL for three years with a Roadmaster brand tow bar. While there are many other tow bars available, get a base plate that connects to the frame. My base plate is below the bumper and works to actually stiffen the Jeep front end (not that it needs that). I removed the bumper, bumper mounting plates, and bolts while installing the base plate. It was very easy, and when I finished it was rock solid. No problems in thousands of miles towing.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Don’t use the plastic bumper to tow. To hold the harness it’s fine. He problem with a base plate is can take away some ground clearance and or affect your approach angle. The Rock Hard bumper has great approach angle, no low hanging things sticking out and protects the sway bar disconnect. Never use the two hooks to tow the vehicle. Hey are for emergency use only.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have installed the Maximus-3 tow loops to hook to a Blue Oz tow bar. Very solid and minimal stuff below bumper. Looks great too. So . . . Not using the bumper to tow. Just maybe to attach the 6-pin connector and breakaway cable thingy.
I think an inverted L bracket I made with some thin titanium sheeting I had will add strength and stability to the 6-pin attachment. I’ll try and post pics if that’s what I end up with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I flat tow my JLUR behind my super c. I use the MOPAR harness as it is plug and play, no splicing of wires. The plug end has a mount to attach it to the top of the bumper. You then connect the 7 pin cable to the plug on the bumper and to the rv. I use the ready brute tow bar with integrated brake system. Also replaced the front bumper with the Rock Hard aluminum bumper with integrated tow points.
Thanks, I had no idea this existed. I figured someone aftermarket had done it but glad to see it's a Mopar product and readily available. This thing where OEM's actually get on the bandwagon of what people actually do with vehicles (especially Jeeps) is really cool. I remember rigging all of this up myself on older Wranglers and Cherokees I flat towed and it was nowhere near perfect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.