Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like it shoud be listed somewhere on the Jeep, I just have't found it yet. I know it's either a 3.21 or a 3.73. Just wonderig if there is a way to tell which?

Thanks!

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
3 options

#1 Your window sticker
#2 Sign on to, or email. Jeep.com with you VIN.
#3 Or...you can jack of the rear of your Jeep and starting counting revolutions of your drive shaft vs your rear wheel.

I'd go with #1 or #2....good luck!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yep, right there on your build sheet.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, I didn't buy it new so I don't have the build sheet or the window sticker. I was hoping they put it somewhere on the vehicle like they used to. Dodge trucks used to have it on a label in the glove box.

Oh well, guess I'll just email Jeep.

Thanks tho!

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
i thought it was stamped on the axle housing also... :confused: could be wrong.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Your gear ratio is stamped into a little metal tag on your differential between two of the housing bolts. Just look at the rear diff around the bolts and you should see the tag. You can look at the front too.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Unfortunately, I didn't buy it new so I don't have the build sheet or the window sticker. I was hoping they put it somewhere on the vehicle like they used to. Dodge trucks used to have it on a label in the glove box.

Oh well, guess I'll just email Jeep.

Thanks tho!
you could get a build sheet from a 1991 YJ that has been owned by 10 different people. just email them like was stated above.

everyone should do it, I found out a few things that I wasnt aware of.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Your gear ratio is stamped into a little metal tag on your differential between two of the housing bolts. Just look at the rear diff around the bolts and you should see the tag. You can look at the front too.
my 13JK did not have one. I have looked all over the rear and nothing. I have pulled the front before and couldnt even find it then.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
i thought it was stamped on the axle housing also... :confused: could be wrong.
I thought that stopped on the JK's?...so I've never bothered to look at mine.

I know they used to be stamped here for sure:
Jeep Parts, Jeep Accessories & Jeep Soft Tops From The Jeep Parts Experts - Quadratec

·
Registered
231 Posts
I say just jack it up and check! Any build sheet or paper can say anything doesn't make it 100% verified. Just jack it up doesn't take long!

·
Registered
325 Posts
my 13JK did not have one. I have looked all over the rear and nothing. I have pulled the front before and couldnt even find it then.
Well, dang, I guess I got lucky. In that case, I'd go with putting the rear end on jack stands.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts