Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am transitioning from a KJ Liberty to a new JL. On the Lib the antenna was mounted on a bracket secured to the inside of the back leg of the roof rack. As the this JL has not roof rack to do the same, I am looking for suggestions and pictures of how you mounted your antenna.

Does the fiberglass roof become a poor ground plane for the antenna? Or does the steel structure of the vehicle still do the job?

Pics, comments, suggestions welcome.

HT

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just did this today. Terraflex tailgate hinge mount. Diamond NR73BNMO antenna only sticks up about 4" above the roof line.

It's a "No Ground Plane" antenna. Acceptable SWR (2/1 or less on my truck) throughout the VHF and UHF bands, including GMRS.
Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Car
Grille Hood Automotive lighting Tire Window

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Window

·
Registered
385 Posts
I am transitioning from a KJ Liberty to a new JL. On the Lib the antenna was mounted on a bracket secured to the inside of the back leg of the roof rack. As the this JL has not roof rack to do the same, I am looking for suggestions and pictures of how you mounted your antenna.

Does the fiberglass roof become a poor ground plane for the antenna? Or does the steel structure of the vehicle still do the job?

Pics, comments, suggestions welcome.

HT

The fiberglass roof isn't a groundplane, a ground plane needs to be some form of metal, like your hood.

I've currently running 5 antennas on my Jeep, yep I'm a Ham Radio idiot. The one that I like the best is in the URL below, I have 3 on my roof rack, and another screwed into the side of the Jeep, yep I drilled a hole in it, however, it's the one that I have mounted on the hood that seems to be the best so far.
The comet allows you to install it at just about any angle, this you to mount it in a manner prevents interference from the metal in the jeep.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have been running this one for a while now. Does a great job with a 2m/70cm Icom 2730a radio. If you put a thin piece of rubber or velcro between the mount and the body it will leave no marks if you ever remove it. It is a NMO mount if that matters to you.

This mounting position definitely does better than mounting behind and against the tailgate for obvious reasons.

And you didn't ask ... but I'm using this mount. Great for the JL and gets the radio out of the way.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I can understand 3 ...... HF, 2m, and 70cm. But educate a newby on why you need 5 .?

I am running a VHF/UHF dual-band single at this time

Great question

1 - APRS 2/440
1 - 2/440 for the Yaesu 857
1 - 20 meters for the Yaesu 857
1 - 40 meters for the Yaesu 857
1 - 2/440 for the ICOM ID-5100 - D-Star; for D-Star I carry a dongle that links to my cell phone, using it's data plan, for when a local D-Sart repeater is not reachable around.

The HF antennas used by 857 are on a coax switch, allowing me to switch the antenna I'm using. I also have a bit of PVC pipe with screw caps that have a bulkhead mounted SO-259 connector on each end on the pipe, allows me to carry other antennas, or store the ones mounted when I'm bashing through low hanging branches; normally carry a 10mtr antenna when traveling with my club for CB - They don't see the value of GMRS, or a Tech License, sort of funny, since most people spend thousands of dollars and hundreads of hours on their Jeeps, yet wont spend $70 to get a GMRS, or a few hours to get their Tech License.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, doing Ham Radio in the Jeep is fun, however, the install and power are painful at times.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just about to take my Technician exam. Fairly simple as I knew most of it anyway from past electronics experience. Already have a GMRS license just for use on trails when required. Looking forward to taking a trip to Moab /Colo Sprs next Spring and thought the GMRS would be good. Have HT for both GMRS and CB, but the CB never gets any usage otherwise.

I wired mine up easily to the aux switch pigtails under the dash. Easy if you only have one radio to deal with, lol.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just about to take my Technician exam. Fairly simple as I knew most of it anyway from past electronics experience. Already have a GMRS license just for use on trails when required. Looking forward to taking a trip to Moab /Colo Sprs next Spring and thought the GMRS would be good. Have HT for both GMRS and CB, but the CB never gets any usage otherwise.

I wired mine up easily to the aux switch pigtails under the dash. Easy if you only have one radio to deal with, lol.
I've an Extra Class, if I could do it, anyone can, flashcards are you friend. Good luck on your test(s), you can take multiable tests on the same day, so study for your General as well.
Mainly got it so I could do HF, since there's very little VHF/UHF repeater activity here in NM. I just bought my GMRS license, never needed it in the past, however, just about every radio I own has been modded to allow it's usage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts