Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first Jeep this week. So far Im loving every min of it. Its a white sport unlimited. I'm looking to do some mods. Alarm,Wheels,lift,small engine mods,things to protect when offroad, exterior and interior accessories,sound system maybe? I just joined the military so i will be shipping to Boot camp next month and I will have limited income for awhile. Also this will be a DD and i don't want to go crazy and make a crawler or anything, but if some friends wona hit a small trail or have a little fun i don't wona haft to worry about braking something or getting stuck in a baby rut b/c im not prepared. So I was wondering where did you start with mods? If you could go back to the bingeing, would you do anything different? Just looking for some good old advice.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
2011 JKU Sahara 2.5” AEV lift with geo brackets steering stabilizer Warn winch & K&N cool air intake
1,772 Posts
Slush mats are a good start. Then really take it out and have some fun. See what you might want to change. You'll be surprised how capable it is even without any mods yet. The thing I wished I would have done first was to replace the headlights or at least the bulbs. Have fun, good luck and thank you for your service.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea i got some floor mats today, defiantly good advice there. I noticed the head lights weren't very helpful without the fog lights on, but I thought it was just me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I third the recommendations above, my first "mod" were the slush mats as well. I also ordered rocker/door sill guards. Next order included grab handles, a rocknob, bilstein shocks and a trailer hitch (shocks and hitch yet to be installed). So far I'm happy with what I have done and mine is a daily driver that should do about 20k miles a year (have almost 4k on in the first two months).

I'd recommend taking it slow with mods. All of my previous cars (12 JK is number 28) that I went more serious with modding I almost always ended up reverting back closer to stock, and that is for the daily drivers. If its a toy then you can make a few more compromises.

The next upgrade I will probably do is better headlights (they are really terrible compared to past cars) followed by better tires (I have the pizza cutter 16s, but will only go for slightly larger but a higher quality tire).

As far as being able to hit the trails...well its a Jeep and its meant for that! You shouldn't really have to do any upgrades to be able to take it off road. Try it stock and see what you think. Good luck with the new Jeep!

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
When I had my jk my first 4 mods

1. Mp3 cable
2. Re budget boost w/wheel spacers
3. Arm rest pad
4. Mirror relocators

·
Registered
72 Posts
I started with a bolt in hitch, 4 quadratec floor liners, 4 grab handles and a few odds and ends. I plan on keeping my Wrangler mostly stock for now, I have only done some very mild wheelin and since it is a DD I'm not in a rush to change it dramatically. Don’t forget to wave. :wavey:

·
Registered
21,478 Posts
Acien70 said:
Yea i got some floor mats today, defiantly good advice there. I noticed the head lights weren't very helpful without the fog lights on, but I thought it was just me.
No it definitely wasn't just you...

·
Registered
823 Posts
Took mine out wheeling the day after I got it, there were some unexpected drops and afew too many close calls with narrow spaces between trees. Needless to say I order some rugged ridge side armor rock rails the next day in order to protect the vulnerable side of my jku. I just find out what I need as I take it out to the trails, and everytime I learn of another way to spend money :hide:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Took mine out the first day to play in some mud .. dropped into 2ft of clay mud and burned my self so deep with the stock tires .. lucky I had a portable cb radio to reach out and contacted a local farmer and he came and pulled me out .. so I preach my story for anyone offroading to have a cb radio set up .. not only a cell phone !

481 Posts
Is it a '12, and where are you located, and how soon are you shipping out?

On floor mats, floor mats protect the rug under the floor mat, I don't personally believe in buying new floor mats until the old floor mats wear out. If I was on a budget, I would put these low.

As far as protection, some rock rails are in order. Ace Rock Rails are the beefiest and have a lifetime guarentee. They are also the best bang for your buck.

There are a number of tire vendors on this site that will offer a % off if you want better tires. If you go that route, seach the forum for wheel /tire combos that will save you $$

There are a number of Offroading clubs just about everywhere, I am from PA, but usually offroad in Jersey. Our club regularly does lifts in one of our members garage. A good lift can be had for under $600, and can be installed for a case of beer and a promise to keep your head down and come home safe. Budget lifts can be had for cheaper, but you will replace it later.

Regarding Tires and Lifts, the stock Jeep is very capable, and if you are going out on a trail, stock is more that sufficient. I have seen a '12 get through areas that older jeeps get stuck. You also have to remember that a good driver factors into the equation.

Let me know if we can help you out. The Jersey Crew has a soft spot for the men in camo.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,474 Posts
We have a LOT of guys start out with the ACE Sliders. Cheap, built well, works as a step, and can take a beating.

I say wheel it and see what your wheeling needs are and just have fun!

Let us know if we can help answer any questions you may have for your new toy!

-Jason

·
Registered
206 Posts
+however many have said floor mats. Got some nice ones from Quadratec and they are fantastic.
Grab handles are fairly cheap and very useful.
Hitch is ordered and like a lot of the folks here, went with a new antenna from AntennaX.com.
Leveling kit is in the garage waiting to go on.
Other than that I haven't found a lot I'm in a big hurry to do. I'm just enjoying the heck out of it right now and waiting on some warmer weather to drop the top!
Welcome and good luck with your service. It is much appreciated.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Skids and recovery gear. Crawling around under my brand new Rubi showed me how exposed the oil pan, tranny (esp. the cooler line), exhaust loop, and sway-bar disconnect motor were. And if you plan on wheeling at all you need a high lift, recovery strap(s), tools, shovel, etc. Skids and recovery gear aren't "fun" because they are upgrades you can't really see but they will pay for themselves IMO and give a lot more peace of mind.

Slush mats in front at least. Stubby antenna because the huge stock one whips around. Mirror relocation brackets for when (not if) the doors come off. New bumper because the stock one is ugly (IMHO), weak (I think a bug dented mine), and collects mud like a champ in and on those stupid long ends.

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
Started with floor mats, everything else was a discovery process.
-stubby antenna when the branches hit it too much
Grab handles and step rail for the wife
Got some purely aesthetic mods coming up though.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: First thing I did, was remove the decals from the sun visors--

Second thing, ripout that cargo space monstrosity base speaker--

47th thing-install laptop mount-

Life is good-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
564 Posts
I agree with those who said "protection and recovery" first. Other than some inexpensive convenience/appearance mods I did along the way, skids and recovery equipment (winch, etc.) are top priority for me. Lift, wheels/tires, etc. will all come later.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts