Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about putting on the soft top on my new JKUR for the summer.

Where/How does everyone store their hard tops for extended periods?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a two car garage so I just usually lay a blanket down and sit my hardtop on that. However, I have a roof on my garage that would allow me to build a pulley system. I'd love to be able to raise and lower my hardtop off my Jeep myself and just store it suspended in the air.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Is there any reason the hoist wouldn't support the hard top for storage? Leaving it hanging would be great and keep it out of the way, as long as the hoist isn't going to fail or something after a few months
All Good. Been storing my Top for several years now same place. When I say several years I mean that is how long I have been using this particular hoist. The Top(s) now the third Jeep, are up for weeks at a time but it wouldn't matter how long. The load is static, the hoist has no sense of time. Our Tops are no where near the capacity of the hoister.
I confess to having installed a small hook where I do a wrap of the cable just in the off chance there were a slip of the brake mechanism but honestly, I rarely use the hook. Never an issue.
BTW I called and spoke with Harken Tech support and s/w one of the Engineers.
Nice folks, Great design.

Here's the Hook....

another Pic

Turns out ALL that Blocking to pack the point out was NOT necessary. That was me being OCD about the angle. I'll pull all that out when I get around to it. That anchor point can be as much as 45* off axis as well either direction.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All Good. Been storing my Top for several years now same place. When I say several years I mean that is how long I have been using this particular hoist. The Top(s) now the third Jeep, are up for weeks at a time but it wouldn't matter how long. The load is static, the hoist has no sense of time. Our Tops are no where near the capacity of the hoister.
I confess to having installed a small hook where I do a wrap of the cable just in the off chance there were a slip of the brake mechanism but honestly, I rarely use the hook. Never an issue.
BTW I called and spoke with Harken Tech support and s/w one of the Engineers.
Nice folks, Great design.

Here's the Hook....

another Pic

Turns out ALL that Blocking to pack the point out was NOT necessary. That was me being OCD about the angle. I'll pull all that out when I get around to it. That anchor point can be as much as 45* off axis as well either direction.
Very nice looking. On the OCD, when dealing with expensive things, paranoia is your friend lol

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Just as an FYI - The Harken is designed (originally) as a hoist for Expensive (Multi $10,000) Boats. Granted, some of us (me included) park our Jeeps under and that is all the more reason Harken designed these hoists to lift and STAY Lifted.
Just sayin' Do what makes you feel safe but, they are strong and steady.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
If my garage was tall enough, I'd hoist it up and leave it.

Since it's not, I picked up a Lange Hoist-A-Cart. The cart itself holds the top in the off season, so it kills two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Has anyone that stores their hardtop suspended ever had any damage to the rubber seals on the back glass area?
been using a Hoist Lifts system on my 2012 for a few years and the straps sit right on the rear window seals. Never a problem crush or tear. Kind of surprising.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Harken Hoist for me. Works awesome. Picked it up a couple months ago from the classifieds on this forum. Really anyone can do use it for one person use.

·
Registered
218 Posts
No garage, so outside storage in the parents back yard for me. I bought a hardtop storage bag by Bestop and will be setting the hardtop in the back of my '71 El Camino which is already out there, since it unlikely I will have the Elky out at all this summer. :( Too many toys! (a problem I am happy to have!)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
On top of someone elses jeep. I sold my hard top a few months ago.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts