Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 2-door and a 13" macbook air (13"x9"). I researched lock boxes, and the universal one seems like the only one that would fit, and I'm not sure where to mount it. Is there a good place to just hide it? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
first "gamble would be in the seat back cushion....but considering the size...I would get a bag and sling it over my shoulder. Considering the phones out these days IDK why a person needs their laptop? But that may only show how much IDK!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The likely scenario is I stop somewhere on the way home from work. Sometimes I stop to do distance swimming in a lake....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Get a Tuffy Security Cargo Enclosure. Lock it and forget about it.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Give it to the first stranger you see and ask them to hold onto it until you return. crazy enough to actually work.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is a tough one, I guess it would depend on where you park it. I was at work and my wife called and said if I cam e home not to get nervous she took my vette to the hairdressers, so I told her be careful and don't park near any 1987 buicks...

Well about an hour and a half later it hits me MY WATCH IS ON THE SHIFTER!!!! I took it off at the lake house and slipped it over the shift, forgot about it, but figured it was fine in my garage, but not in town outside my wifes haridressers!!!

I frantically called her and she wasnt answering, I pictured her with one of them old lady hair dryers over her head while the phone rang and some homeless guy was leaning over my door grabbing my spare change and four thousand dollar watch!!!!

I called 3 times in a row and on the first ring of the third time she answered knowing it must be an emergency, I told her about the watch and she went out to check on it, it was still there... She said she parked right in front and at least 50 people wlked by it and everyone was looking in it and at it because the windows and the top was down!!!
That was just dumb luck...

I once ran into a cumberland farms near providence just to pay for the gas I just pumped {it was before you had to pay first} and when I came out my GPS was gone {and it was an expensive one, if you remember when they first came out, tom toms were like $800}... I wasnt in that place for 55 seconds, they had to be taking it out as I was walking into the store, because I was looking at my truck when I was in the store...

Anyway, to be constructive, how about folding the rear seats down with it in between them, and rigging a lock so the seat can not be lifted {should be easy, drill a hole in the bracket and put a pad lock}

Or put it in a dirty pizza box- over the years I have learned the best defense for not getting your stuff stolen is to not let anyone know its there, if you have a big safe or lock box for some reason people want to steal whats in it. I had a customer that owned a pizza place, he got robbed 3 times and was forced to open the safe every time, he started emptying the money into a pizza box that was sticking out of a trash container with a tomato stuck to it, and left the safe empty the next couple times he got robbed they got just what was in the drawer...

So lesson learned-
safe= people steal whats in it
crusty pizza box= people ignore it

I like the pizza box idea best, toss it in the back of the jeep with some empty soda cans in a dominos bag and no one will know whats in it, they will think its all garbage... Maybe even write "XXX Anchovies" for sure no one would touch it then. Shellac a tomato onto the box to help the looks of it too... If you really want to get crazy with it, make a false bottom so if someone opens it they see some pizza crusts, but under that is a nice clean bay where the laptop is...

·
Banned
151 Posts
What possible difference does "top down" make? :crazy:

Ohhh! Look, a laptop. I can't steal it because I don't know how to use a zipper and I left my box cutter at home.

·
Retired Moderator
100,578 Posts
Don't leave any valuable items in you Wrangler, with the top down!!!!!!!
If you do, then you will make some thieves, very happy.......:happyyes:

Plus it would even be questionable, if you would have insurance coverage...:confused:

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Anybody with 5 minutes could break into any part of the wrangler. If it has any value, then dont leave it in the jeep.
While that is true, that is also true for pretty much ANY vehicle.

I have a Tuffy underseat lockbox and Tuffy rear security deck.

AWESOME products.

Before my son was born, I used to commute on my motorcycle everyday. I have a laptop backpack for the job (paid for by my job since we are required to have our laptops with us), and sometimes it really sucked going someplace after work and having to lug my helmet, armored jacket, and a backpack. The best thing about the Jeep is that if I have to stop someplace after work (grocery store, hardware store, etc...), my backpack is stowed away in the rear enclosure.

Can someone break into it? Sure.... But how often to people break into vehicles in a middle of a parking lot to see IF something is in a trunk? Unless the vehicle is being left overnight at a train station or something, no one is breaking into my Jeep to see if I might have something of value at 6:30 in the evening while in the Super Target parking lot.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Put it in bag and carry it with you. Never leave anything in a soft top jeep or a jeep with the top down that you would be too upset about losing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A mac book air would probably fit under the rear cargo area. Open the rear door, access the jack storage area, and slide it in there... Most people don't even know that spot exists.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'd love to answer - but what year is your 13" macbook air ?

Just kidding :)

Maybe in the glove box...

Hide it... yeah top of the drivers side foot well - tons of space there out of sight - might need to do a little something - but that's the best spot out of sight and nobody is going to look there.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
A mac book air would probably fit under the rear cargo area. Open the rear door, access the jack storage area, and slide it in there... Most people don't even know that spot exists.
Excellent location.
I sometime put stuff there as well (like my iPad if I have it with me....which also fits in my underseat lockbox).

I'm not sure if one can even (easily) get to that spot with the tailgate shut.

Between that and my security deck...I'm not too worried about leaving something in the Jeep once in a blue moon if need be. But I make a habit of leaving stuff in the Jeep that I'd be really upset about if it walked away. (Yes, I would be pissed about a few things, but they could be replaced).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I always have my back seats folded down
I put my laptop on the floor behind the driver seat
There is enough room so the seat does not press on it but hides it nicely

1 - 20 of 28 Posts