Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up this 58 Willy's and just don't have a clue where to start. I don't think I'm looking to go for a restore as it has fiberglass replacement tub. So looking more for like simple night on the town type stuff. It has original f-134 in it and starts and runs good but can't seem to go faster then like 40-45. I'm not looking for a speed demon here but any suggestions on how to get a few more mph just don't want to be that weirdo driving 40 in a 55. Thinking I want a little bigger tires as well I like the Fuller look then these thin ones. And just overall if you have ideas I'd love to hear them!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
The real problem is they are geared insanely low. Some as low as 5:13. the simplest way to gain a little speed is with larger tires. A little diameter can gain some decent MPH, maybe 10% without a lot of work.

Nice looking Jeep!! Good Luck.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The real problem is they are geared insanely low.
Yup...my '48 had a top speed of about 45 or 50 and it was doing high RPMs to get there..it would push over trees, but was not built for speed to be sure....

·
Registered
87 Posts
You want to look for an overdrive unit to bolt to the back of the transfer case. That should get you close to 50MPH.

I feel your pain. My '52 Willys pickup has 5.28 gears and the F134 motor and only tops out at 40MPH.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The real problem is they are geared insanely low. Some as low as 5:13. the simplest way to gain a little speed is with larger tires. A little diameter can gain some decent MPH, maybe 10% without a lot of work.

Nice looking Jeep!! Good Luck.
Yep, nice looking rig. If the gears are stock, it should have 5.38 gears. I believe it was the ONLY option in 1958. With the F head, you will not gain any significant top speed because the engine flat runs out of power before hitting the 4k max rpm. You can shave the head a bit and/or possibly find one of the somewhat rare "high compression" heads but neither will really bump the HP enough to really notice. An overdrive can give you a marginal boost, at least on the level (with no headwind) or downhills.

There have been attempts at forced induction but those usually don't end well for an engine bottom end that was originally used in Willys 1926 Whippet. In short, if you are not happy with a 50 to 55 mph top end, you need to do an engine swap.

A lot of Buick/Jeep 225 V6's have been installed with the stock drivetrain but a Chevy 4.3 L is a wiser choice these days. It has neither of the funky oiling system or factory valve train of the Buicks and can be found with factory fuel injection. Both engines will require motor mounts and radiator modifications.

But then you have stepped on that slippery modification slope and you may find there isn't a bottom to it---------

·
Registered
96 Posts
You bought and now own a 40-50 MPH Jeep and that is what it was desined to be. Personally I would say live with it and love it. I have pretty much the same thing in a 1960 but it does have an overdrive and a Dauntless engine. I actually wish it had the Hurricane engine as I love that little lump. Overdrive is about the only option you have to get any more speed out of it. That is on straight and level and downhill at least :happyyes:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Make a list starting with priorities first obviously. Full oil/lube/safety service to start. IIRC you actually grease the rear outer wheel bearings, and there are zerk fittings for that. Otherwise basic drain and refill duties. Inspect your brake lines, fuel lines, safety stuff. This will possibly in itself make your fix it list pretty long as you find worn or weathered parts. Fix/repair for longevity and safety then start in with the mods and have fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts