Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What years/vehicle can i find a Dana 44 for my 97 wrangler? I just got a lift and 33's on it and i've been trying to find a better re axle.

I found this one but i'm not sure if it will work?

JEEP DANA 44'S

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
sakicnut said:
What years/vehicle can i find a Dana 44 for my 97 wrangler? I just got a lift and 33's on it and i've been trying to find a better re axle.

I found this one but i'm not sure if it will work?

JEEP DANA 44'S
That one is is a full with and is a 6 lug and has disks and is set up for leaf springs and has the wrong gearing.

Short answer no it wont work. Look for a D44 from any TJ.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
or a Ford 8.8 from an explorer. it is a touch stronger. you'll need to add spring mounts, but if you can do that pretty easy.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I have to find a D44 that already built up for tj? I can't get another one and add spring mounts?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Its the wheel base you have to look for. a TJ dana is set up for a TJ, a Dana 44 for anything else would need to be shortened and worked over...like it was said, if you cant find a D44 for a TJ, a ford 8.8 is the closest.

Finding something with the right gears is the number one thing...but you are looking for a grain of salt in a dessert...D44 are hard to just drop down a pick up from somewhere, with out dropping alot of money

1 - 9 of 9 Posts