Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an option to purchase a hinge bushing removal tool without bushings... I have the bushings, they came without the tool, I ordered in winter and opened just couple weeks ago when doors came off, too late to return.

I was wondering if I can buy one separately or may be someone has one left from the install? shipping on me of course.

I tried deep sockets and such, but after an hour of work was able to remove 2 of them - they sit there tight, even after soaking them for couple hours with WD40.

was hoping that the tool with the giude that goes inside the bushing and the shoulder to press on it will preserve some paint and will save me time

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I'll look and see if I've still got mine when I get home. I may have thrown it away with the old bushings, though.

I will say, that it worked great for 3 out of 4 of my bushings (I have a 2 door). The 4th bushing, I pounded for a while and it wouldn't budge. Ended up using a screwdriver and a pair of needle-nose pliers and got it out in about 4 or 5 pieces.

I'll check in when I get home (usually around 6:00 EST).

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll look and see if I've still got mine when I get home. I may have thrown it away with the old bushings, though.

I will say, that it worked great for 3 out of 4 of my bushings (I have a 2 door). The 4th bushing, I pounded for a while and it wouldn't budge. Ended up using a screwdriver and a pair of needle-nose pliers and got it out in about 4 or 5 pieces.

I'll check in when I get home (usually around 6:00 EST).
yeah, I had to do it to one of the 2 I removed so far - it was ugly and I decided to see if I can get a tool...

·
Registered
‘17 JKU Big Bear
494 Posts
I don't mean to intrude or high jack... but since this is an active thread I have a couple questions. I bought my jk in May of '15. I've never taken my doors off. I know crazy right? Mostly due to storage space as I lived in an apartment. I've since bought a house...

Read on WF somewhere that not taking doors off over s period of time likely will need to replace bushings when you do manage to take doors off. Opinions or insight into this situation? I've been thinking of the delrin budging replacements from q-tech to have on hand before I remove my doors just in case old bushings are corroded

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I don't mean to intrude or high jack... but since this is an active thread I have a couple questions. I bought my jk in May of '15. I've never taken my doors off. I know crazy right? Mostly due to storage space as I lived in an apartment. I've since bought a house...

Read on WF somewhere that not taking doors off over s period of time likely will need to replace bushings when you do manage to take doors off. Opinions or insight into this situation? I've been thinking of the delrin budging replacements from q-tech to have on hand before I remove my doors just in case old bushings are corroded
Might not be a bad idea to replace them whether you plan to take the doors off or not.

Just be aware, I bought the delrin bushings from Quadratec and the bore hole was so tight on the hinge that the doors were actually hard to open and close.

I ended up reaming the hole out ever so slightly, and now my doors have almost no friction when opening and closing, and I can lift them off with very little effort. Before I reamed out the hole, though, I was VERY disappointed with their performance.

It didn't take much reaming...maybe 1/32" or so.

·
Registered
‘17 JKU Big Bear
494 Posts
Hmm... other brand/source recommendations for both bushings? My doors open n close smoothly with no issues

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I replaced my hinge bushings the same day I drove mine home from the dealer. I learned that lesson from my 2011. I think I went through TMR customs (not sure if they're a forum sponsor so feel free to take this down).

·
Registered
387 Posts
9MM deep well socket works really well, that an a rubber mallet

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ended up using small flat screwdriver to crush them from the top inside and knock them out from the top - took 5 minutes per bushing - proper tools are overrated

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Is there an option to purchase a hinge bushing removal tool without bushings... I have the bushings, they came without the tool, I ordered in winter and opened just couple weeks ago when doors came off, too late to return.

I was wondering if I can buy one separately or may be someone has one left from the install? shipping on me of course.

I tried deep sockets and such, but after an hour of work was able to remove 2 of them - they sit there tight, even after soaking them for couple hours with WD40.

was hoping that the tool with the giude that goes inside the bushing and the shoulder to press on it will preserve some paint and will save me time

Thanks in advance
Forget it... just read you used a screw driver.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just ordered a set of bushings for my 2 door. The current bushings are so worn down that it’s hard to differentiate between the worn out bushing and the door hinge.

The set I found doesn’t have the removal tool. Will a flathead/9mm socket still work fine even when they are so worn?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts