Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rather new to installing wires. I am planning on setting up lights on the windshield pillar. I was going to put the switch on a daystar lower dash panel. I was curious of the best way to get the wires to this location without drilling and making it look the cleanest way possible. I am also curious if people have tried out the daystar lower dash panel and what they think of it. This is my first wiring job I have done and do not want to mess it up.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I am rather new to installing wires. I am planning on setting up lights on the windshield pillar. I was going to put the switch on a daystar lower dash panel. I was curious of the best way to get the wires to this location without drilling and making it look the cleanest way possible. I am also curious if people have tried out the daystar lower dash panel and what they think of it. This is my first wiring job I have done and do not want to mess it up.
Read these. The first two deal with installing lights using daystar or other switches. The third link deals with the sPOD, which I (and several others) have put in our Jeeps to make installing future lights and other aux electrics a breeze. Because of it's cost (there's a link in the thread), it's really not worth it unless you plan on adding a number of aux items to your Jeep. If just sticking with the windshield pillar lights, go with the first two links.

Hella 500 Black Magic Install
Aux. switches.
2012 Electrical question
As for getting wires from the engine bay into the cab, there's a plug (several of them, but I'm just gonna deal with one) on the driver's side of your engine bay, to the right of the steering column. Remove the side panel of your dash (it just pops out) and you'll see the inside part of the hole...it's filled with foam. Use a straightened coathanger to fish your electrical wires through the hole, then run the wires under the dash to wherever you decide to mount your switches.

I used an Xacto knife to cut a small hole in the rubber plug in the engine bay to accommodate the wires, then seated the plug back in the hole.

Even if you decide you don't need the sPOD, there are some good light installation tips in that third thread I sent you.

Good luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
34,589 Posts
Wire for lights run under.

Daystar Switch Panel

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr.Sig I like your set up. I was just curious of where you ran your wires when you brought it into the cab and where you attached them under the hood to make it the cleanest way possible

·
Registered
34,589 Posts
Mr.Sig I like your set up. I was just curious of where you ran your wires when you brought it into the cab and where you attached them under the hood to make it the cleanest way possible
I put them to a Daystar Switch Panel. I ran all the wires at one time though the fire wall on the drivers side. Than to my Fuses block.

So now the only wires on the battery is for the winch and fuse block.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts