Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a hi low jack 48” and all I see for YJs are mounts for the hood, I don’t see anything for the back. Do you guys think having it on the hood looks cooler or does it look better mounted to the back.

Are there any places to find rear mounts/brackets?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Most people mount them on the hood because it "looks cool" and it's just kind of the easiest spot.

I had mine mounted on the front bumper for years and bent it several time. It would also rust up and stop functioning and i just hated having it mounted outside of the jeep exposed to water and rain.

There is no real good way of mounting the jack on the back unless you buy a expensive tire carrier with mounts to put it on.

I dont run a back seat and i wanted to mount mine inside the jeep so i made my own mount using the seat belt mount holes. It works well but the base plate is so tight you have to remove it to get it out. When i was brainstorming ideas i came across a blue premium model Hi-Lift with quick release pins for the jack handle and base plate.

This ended up being a easy solution so i replaced the cotter pins with quick release pins. I can have the jack out of the back of my jeep in about 2 minutes. It's not cumbersome or annoying at all to deal with. It is much easier than mounting the jack on the hood

Reactions: gat

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'd take it back to the store and get your money then buy a winch. Hi-Lift jacks are pretty much useless and extremely dangerous. They have their uses but not on a vehicle.

Reactions: Gottagofast

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have mine mounted on the aft-portion of the roll bar, it's out of the way, doesn't interfere with your view, and it is protected from the weather since it fits with the soft-top or hard-top on.

Hi-lift makes bar clamp mounts so it's real easy to get it on the rollbar. You can see in my profile pix I have it mounted up but I actually flipped it down 90' so it's not up in the air anymore when I got rid of those back aux lights. I can get a better picture if you're interested.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/blm-tm700?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-43po_ry4wIVh5-fCh0oswdTEAQYAiABEgKnvvD_BwE

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
I used about $8.00 worth of muffler clamps.
Pics are while I had the Jeep disassembled to paint. The jack now sits level.

Hi-Lift jacks are like shotguns. They're handy to have around, but dangerous to someone that doesn't know how to use them.
Hi-Lift has some videos on their website on their use. Learn how to use the Hi-Lift and have the proper accessories. The factory jack is the safest jack to change a tire on the highway. On the trail, there're too many variables to give any advice. A 12" X 12" piece of 3/4" plywood is handy for a base if the ground is soft.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

Reactions: gat

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I'd take it back to the store and get your money then buy a winch. Hi-Lift jacks are pretty much useless and extremely dangerous. They have their uses but not on a vehicle.
X2. The stock Jack is perfect for tires up to 35”. Hi lift jack is more of a decoration than an actual useful tool. Only part of that Jack worth carrying is the handle to use as a trail repair for a bent tie rod.

·
Registered
846 Posts
There have been times I have used a Hilift jack on the trail and it has saved my a$$ but i agree that it is more of a decoration than a useful tool that needs to be carried all the time. That is why I don’t leave it off my Jeep. It stays in the garage till I go out on the trail. So it stays nice, clean and rust free!

PO had hood mounts so I use them for now but when I do get a DirtWorx rear bumper/tire carrier that is where the Hilift jack will be going. I don’t care for it on the hood. Jmho

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
There have been times I have used a Hilift jack on the trail and it has saved my a$$ but i agree that it is more of a decoration than a useful tool that needs to be carried all the time. That is why I don’t leave it off my Jeep. It stays in the garage till I go out on the trail. So it stays nice, clean and rust free!

PO had hood mounts so I use them for now but when I do get a DirtWorx rear bumper/tire carrier that is where the Hilift jack will be going. I don’t care for it on the hood. Jmho
Installed that tire carrier with trail rack on my YJ. Solid quality. You’ll be happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I have 2 highlifts... they stay in my shop... on the trail I have no use for one whatsoever....

If I DID carry one for some reason I'd hide it well.... no way I'd let anyone see me cruising around w mall gear on my jeep....

99.999% of the time there are safer, lighter, smaller, and better options to a highlift on the trail....

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I would prefer having a offroad floor jack but it would take up so much room in my jeep. And would havehydraulic oilhttps://www.bing.com/search?q=hydraulic+oil&FORM=AWRE in it and i have had floor jacks in the past that dont want to work after tilting them at extreme angles. I had to mess with them and pump the hell out of them before they would bleed and start working.

Hi-Lift might not be the best jack for changing a tire but it's a trade off because you can do so much more with them. I thought about carrying a piece of chain around to chain the axle to the frame before i start lifting so i dont have to max the suspension out before the tire lifts. It would also be a god idea to look around for a log to jam under the spring plate to prevent the jeep from falling off the jack.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
What's really cool is learning to actually use one for different recovery situations safetly.
But then, after that; they lose their. "Cool" status.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just bought a hi low jack 48” and all I see for YJs are mounts for the hood, I don’t see anything for the back. Do you guys think having it on the hood looks cooler or does it look better mounted to the back.

Rear mounts seemed to require drilling. So mine is on the hood. I don't leave it on when I'm only around town just to keep the rust dripping on the hood issue down. I know it's not all about looks, but it does look cool. That will probably get a bunch of "it's not about looks" comments, but sometimes it is. I will say the hood mount is pretty easy to get the jack on and off so the on again-off again nature isn't too bad. Got my mounts on amazon. EAG. They were easy to put on and seem pretty secure. They also mount to the rear door if you choose. Have fun.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
There is no real good way to mount a hi-lift on the back unless you mount it to the bumper horizontally. If you tried to mount it anywhere vertically you are going to block the tail lights, license plate or prevent the tailgate from opening. The only way to mount a hi-lift on the rear is with a swing out tire carrier.

example:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I respectfully disagree that farm jacks are useless. My group came up on this poor guy, who had been up on the mountain for hours waiting on his passengers, who went in opposite directions on foot, to come back with help.

His driver front coil spring popped out and he specifically needed a farm jack to raise his Jeep up enough to get the spring back in place. I'm glad I had one handy to help him out. He was grateful and learned a lot that day.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Mine lays on the back storage compartment floor, on the diagonal. If it stays outside, it will get dirty and rusty and probably won't work when you need it. I agree that it is not always/often what you need, but at times it is good to have. I also carry a compact floor jack and a bottle jack, pieces of wood.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Thanks!

Why people feel the need to criticize you instead of simply answering your question, or providing positive advice, is beyond me. Although I am not sure about your specific YJ application, here are a couple pics of my JK that might provide some inspiration. Good Luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also disagree with the statement that HI/LOW Jacks are useless. I couldn't even begin to describe half the uses I've found for one.

It's like any other tool, if you learn how to use it correctly, the possibilities are endless. If you don't know how to use it, ...........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts