Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I daily drive my jeep and I thankfully get to keep it in the garage. I don't leave the garage opener on the visor for obvious reasons (basically leaving the key to your house out for anyone to take) so I usually put in the consol and lock it whenever I leave my jeep. But leaving it in the consol with other items inside makes it very inaccessible when I want to get in the garage quickly. I'm thinking about wiring the opener to a button on the dash but I'm curious to know what you guys do for this.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I have a key fob for my garage door.....
I keep it in my pocket

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I used Velcro to attach it below the ashtray and rear wiper switch. Heat caused the adhesive to let go. Waiting for a few speed pass Velcro to arrive. Those should hold up better

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a key fob for my garage door.....
I keep it in my pocket
I also have a key fob, for a LiftMaster opener, that I glued a strong magnet on the back, which gave me several inconspicuous places to hide it within easy arms reach.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Could always velcro it to the underside of the dash.. its accessible and within reach just line it up with something you can see like the rear wiper switch and then you know where to reach for and click.

If someone breaks in at night or what ever they likely wont look for anything under the dash.

Heck when my Ranger got broke into the perps didn't even check the back seat/cubby area. had a nice helmet with a cam on it back there and full 200+ piece socket set among other things.

They mostly grabbed visible things and center console things. and some loose change in the ashtray cup deal.

Point is out of site out of mind usually these guys grab whats visable then bolt.

If they steal the whole vehicle then worry about such things.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thanks for all of the ideas guys! I will probably just go with velcroing it somewhere hidden but I was just curious to see what you guys did.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Well thanks for all of the ideas guys! I will probably just go with velcroing it somewhere hidden but I was just curious to see what you guys did.
I did double stick tape on the windshield frame between the visors.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I have a remote that's on my key chain, if I had DD my tj ( hell would freeze over or I'd just sell it ) I would follow the write ups that can be found by Googleing it.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
If your garage door opener is compatible with Homelink. You can get the modules on ebay for cheap and with a little effort and a dremel mount it in the console.

This is out of a Ford Explorer visor
The problems with installing a permanent mount in any vehicle is it stays with the vehicle, even when the vehicle is in a collision or is re-sold, so someone else will have access to that garage door opener.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
I hang mine on the footman's loop, on the windshield frame.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The problems with installing a permanent mount in any vehicle is it stays with the vehicle, even when the vehicle is in a collision or is re-sold, so someone else will have access to that garage door opener.
No problem to easily delete old remotes from your garage opener and reprogram the remotes you are keeping.

I pulled the PC board out of my remote, soldered some wires to attach new momentary push buttons. I drilled three holes in the trim on the driver's A-pillar to mount the new push buttons. I replaced the battery in the remote by hard-wiring the POS and NEG terminals on the PC board to a step-down to take the 12 volts down to 3 volts to power the remote. There is lots of room behind the A-pillar trim to tuck the remote securely in place and put it all back together.

Power is only supplied to the remote when the ignition is on to prevent anyone from using the buttons to open my gates or garage door if the Jeep is parked outside.

Here's what it looks like installed.

IMG_0018.jpg

Reactions: OkPanky

·
▄▌ee▐▀
1,791 Posts
It's simple enough to reset it before it is sold or insurance takes it. Hold the first and third button for about 20 seconds. Bam doors are deleted

·
Registered
439 Posts
i mounted my remote inside the black trim piece that runs on the inside of the windshield at the top. then ran wires to 2 momentary switches (2 garage doors) in the top of that same trim piece above the driver visor. pretty well hidden.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I put mine in the zip up front corners of my Gear Shade mesh top. Has worked for years. I also zip them almost all the way and tuck the zipper tether in the pocket.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Under your seat are wires that hold the cushion up. I just ran my door opener's visor clip through the wires on the side of the seat of my dominant hand, it can be mounted just in reach of your fingers but remain totally hidden so even if you flip the seat forward you won't immediately see the opener. I just reach under the seat and push the button. Three months and no problems.

Edit to add: My passengers are also entertained when I say "TO THE BATCAVE!" or "Open Sesame!" and the garage door magically opens while I secretly push the button. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts