Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my rear license plate holder off roading a few wks ago

ForumRunner_20150914_211727.jpg

and don't want to put it back in the same spot. I also have a special tire cover so putting it in the middle of the spare tire is not an option. Help

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
There is no ideal spot for the rear tag if you're taking the spare tire off the list of possible locations - everything has a compromise; on the tailgate, on the rear bumper, etc.

·
Registered
611 Posts
you can relocate it to the rear bumper just to the right of the hump (slightly below and to the right of where it is) but the issue is that you need to illuminate your license plate in most states. So you would have to customize a way to illuminate it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I relocated mine to the tire carrier on my rear bumper. Bought a plate light at Autozone and wired it straight into the existing wiring for the plate light. I added tape to the light (temporarily) because it is pretty bright. Now I just need to find a plate to cover the now gaping hole where the plate was originally.

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts

View attachment 2489346

and don't want to put it back in the same spot. I also have a special tire cover so putting it in the middle of the spare tire is not an option. Help
I've always like the look of the wrap around license plate brackets. Some people just re-drill their plate to mount it without the plastic holder and others buy the bracket. But either way it's a bit of a custom look that I like a lot!

-Ryan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've always like the look of the wrap around license plate brackets. Some people just re-drill their plate to mount it without the plastic holder and others buy the bracket. But either way it's a bit of a custom look that I like a lot!

-Ryan
Thanks guys. My thought was over the third brake but trying to figure out to mount and then a light make me think it might be a pain. Ugh.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think you could move it to the lower bumper on the left along with the light without much effort. I am assuming you could install the block off plate for the existing bracket and run the wires out the bottom of the Jeep. I will take a look at my Jeep.

The same this happened to someone I was wheeling with a couple of weeks ago, same damage, same spare cover, same exact Jeep, weird. ;)

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I relocated mine to the tire carrier on my rear bumper. Bought a plate light at Autozone and wired it straight into the existing wiring for the plate light. I added tape to the light (temporarily) because it is pretty bright. Now I just need to find a plate to cover the now gaping hole where the plate was originally.

Mine took a little damage and I think I have finally cobbled together the parts to do something like this over the weekend. Didn't really care for the spare mount options (or the price) so it's going on my tire carrier about where you have it.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
license plate delete its just a plastic plug that goes in the whole
http://www.amazon.com/Wrangler-License-Plate-Deletion-Mopar/dp/B006R60N4O

·
Premium Member
691 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Easy but tedious project!

You could make a mount with some 10ga aluminum plate that will sit above your CHMSL.

Start by holding your license plate where you want it to sit, then visualize, or use a piece of cardboard to design your mount. Cardboard is cool to work with because you can mount the license plate to it, and then draw and cut to fit.
Transfer that onto a piece of 10 gauge aluminum, and cut with a jigsaw.

The wiring would need to be extended from it's current location, across the
tub, and then through the tail gate. It's not near as hard as it sounds.
Then just use a trailer light kit.
You'll want to use Weather resistant connectors (like the Weather Pack connectors in this example). You can get a kit cheap, with some inexpensive crimping pliers.
Here are a few pictures just to give you an idea.
Hope this helps.

Aluminum mounting plate:

Mounted on spare tire carrier with license plate light from a trailer kit (very inexpensive and easy to find/replace)

A great place to run the wires up through, and then to the tail gate. This is on the left rear of the tub.

Then just run it through the tail gate with the rest of the harness.

When it's all done it will look like very clean.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
You could make a mount with some 10ga aluminum plate that will sit above your CHMSL.

Start by holding your license plate where you want it to sit, then visualize, or use a piece of cardboard to design your mount. Cardboard is cool to work with because you can mount the license plate to it, and then draw and cut to fit.
Transfer that onto a piece of 10 gauge aluminum, and cut with a jigsaw.

The wiring would need to be extended from it's current location, across the
tub, and then through the tail gate. It's not near as hard as it sounds.
Then just use a trailer light kit.
You'll want to use Weather resistant connectors (like the Weather Pack connectors in this example). You can get a kit cheap, with some inexpensive crimping pliers.
Here are a few pictures just to give you an idea.
Hope this helps.

Aluminum mounting plate:

Mounted on spare tire carrier with license plate light from a trailer kit (very inexpensive and easy to find/replace)

A great place to run the wires up through, and then to the tail gate. This is on the left rear of the tub.

Then just run it through the tail gate with the rest of the harness.

When it's all done it will look like very clean.
Wow, perfect timing and same rear bumper to boot! Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Wow, perfect timing and same rear bumper to boot! Thanks for posting this.
Glad it helps. Feel free to drop a P.M. if you get stuck on anything.

One thing I plan to go back and do is drill a 1/2" hole in the top of the bumper near the spindle, and run the harness out at that point. Will be much cleaner.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Here is how mine turned out. Wiring still isn't tidied up in the photos. $10 steel universal bracket off Amazon and some hardware from Lowes.

For lighting I have some universal LEDs that mount to the top license plate bolts. They were about $10 bucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think you could move it to the lower bumper on the left along with the light without much effort. I am assuming you could install the block off plate for the existing bracket and run the wires out the bottom of the Jeep. I will take a look at my Jeep.

The same this happened to someone I was wheeling with a couple of weeks ago, same damage, same spare cover, same exact Jeep, weird. ;)[/QUOTE
Hi Abercrombie

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

All you guys have me so confused. You are all handy and oh my sounds like you have a boat load of tools too. Me nothing will okay a hammer and zip ties.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Here is how mine turned out. Wiring still isn't tidied up in the photos. $10 steel universal bracket off Amazon and some hardware from Lowes.

For lighting I have some universal LEDs that mount to the top license plate bolts. They were about $10 bucks.
Nice work! :thumb:

All you guys have me so confused. You are all handy and oh my sounds like you have a boat load of tools too. Me nothing will okay a hammer and zip ties.
Zipties and a little imagination can fix anything! :thumb:

·
Registered
43 Posts
You could always check out a bracket for a trailer. Etrailer.com has a few. Mount it anywhere it will fit. Comes with a bracket and light.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You could always check out a bracket for a trailer. Etrailer.com has a few. Mount it anywhere it will fit. Comes with a bracket and light.
This is what I have come up with since I am still unsure with what I want to do. Went without a license plate for over a month, I was so lucky never got pulled over. So far cops are fine with where it is at. Good old zip ties.

ForumRunner_20151227_061025.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts