Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2001 TJ Sahara. This is my first wrangler I have owned. It is a 3spd auto and came with 31 BFG K02s. It has some rancho 5407 shocks and I assume a small possibly a small lift. It has Dana 30/35 axles at 3.07. I intend to use the TJ as a daily driver and occasional offroad/adventure vehicle. Probably about 80/20. I dont do any crazy offroading but often head out to local trails, national parks, etc.

There are so many upgrade options and they can really get expensive so I want to upgrade in an efficent and benefical manner. What would you guys consider to be the most important upgrades to this fairly stock TJ?

Should it be a lift? Upgrade to d44? Regearing? If so what gearing for 31s or possibly eventually 33s?

I really appreciate any help and advice. Im super excited to start wrenching on my TJ.

·
Registered
879 Posts
First start off my making sure that the TJ is mechanically sound in its current condition before considering any major upgrades. Normally I'd say re-gearing is the first upgrade with larger tires, but it all depends on the type of use and trails that you will be running. A no-brainer upgrade is the addition of front sway bar disconnects if it doesn't have them. I'd suggest wheeling the TJ in its current config for a while and you will probably find out what upgrades are needed the most.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Ill definitely test it out first and see how it feels. As far as regearing what am I looking for with 31s and maybe eventually 33s with a 3spd auto? 3.73? 4.10?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Google Jeep TJ gearing charts for info on gears.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Googled some charts. Seems like theyre mostly for manual not auto. Tried that Grimjeeper thing but im not knowledgeable enough to understand what its saying. Seems like 3.07 is OK for 31s with 32RH. 3.73 would be better but prpbably not worth the upgrade I dont think.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
60,908 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I wouldn't waste the money to regear if you're sticking with 31s with the 3 speed 32rh trans. If you go with 33s, just swap in some 4 cylinder Jeep axles with 4.10 gears and upgrade the shafts. That will work fine for your needs. I had a 00' Sahara auto with 33s.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts