Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Great forum here, I have been a fly on the wall for a few days. So here I am. I want to buy a new Jeep in the next year or so. But I have a bunch of questions,

First my plan is to buy a 2013 or 2014 Sport S model, pay it off then build it up.

I would like a manual transmission but I don't know how to drive one yet, should I learn before I buy the Jeep?

Can I use it as my daily driver while I am paying it off, knowing that I am going to probably replace the diffs, transfer case and wheels in a few years?

I am having trouble finding a place to learn a manual any hints?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

-Aaron

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well let me start off by saying welcome! And I'll try and answer a few of your questions. First. No you don't have too, but it is wise. I learned on mine when I was 15. It will be hard on the clutch but if you are a fast learner, then no issues should present themselves. Secondly, yes it'll be fine as a DD, but when you say transfer case, what do you mean? The stock setup is more than capable of handling 35s but be aware that some mods can take several days of work. And finally, got any friends that own manuals? If not that then look up your local drivers school for kids trying to get their drivers license, they usually offer a class on driving a manual for older folks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well let me start off by saying welcome! And I'll try and answer a few of your questions. First. No you don't have too, but it is wise. I learned on mine when I was 15. It will be hard on the clutch but if you are a fast learner, then no issues should present themselves. Secondly, yes it'll be fine as a DD, but when you say transfer case, what do you mean? The stock setup is more than capable of handling 35s but be aware that some mods can take several days of work. And finally, got any friends that own manuals? If not that then look up your local drivers school for kids trying to get their drivers license, they usually offer a class on driving a manual for older folks.
Well, my goal is to spend the time paying it off learning hence why I am on this site. I guess the issue is really whether or not using it as a DD will destroy the transfer case?

-Aaron

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would like a manual transmission but I don't know how to drive one yet, should I learn before I buy the Jeep?

Lol! I love seeing those questions... I bought my first manual, a '93 Dakota, at 19 without ever having driven a stick before. I signed the papers, had my grandpa drop it off where I worked and spent the next few hours learning in the parking lot with nothing but the manual to teach me. People said I was crazy but it worked out great for me. So I say go for it!
Of course I had watched my brother drive a stick for a long time so I knew what I was getting into but I had never actually tried it myself. There's really no question that it would be better to learn first since it is quite the commitment if you end up hating it, but if you're sure that's what you want then why not?

For some pointers, there's a thread on here that was started maybe a week or so ago by a person who did the same thing. I'll try to dig it up later. There were some good tips and debates on that one.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well, my goal is to spend the time paying it off learning hence why I am on this site. I guess the issue is really whether or not using it as a DD will destroy the transfer case?

-Aaron
Haha unless you drive it in 4wd every where it'll be just fine. Just leave it in 2 hi when your on pavement and your transfer case will be just fine.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Here's that thread I was talking about:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/first-time-manual-help-256080.html

And for some more food for thought on a manual transmission while you're still making your plans, here's a thread I find myself referring to quite a but that has some very good information in it on the subject: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60339

Definitely not trying to discourage you - I wouldn't ever get an auto - but it's worth it to consider all the different angles if you're planning to wheel it or build it up.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well it darn well better cover the manual tranny considering that was a big part of the salesman's pitch... having all those parts covered gives me peace of mind, etc... so I hope nobody confirms that.

But yes, the clutch is considered normal wear and tear, much like brake pads, so that is not covered.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Why a manual transmission? Today's auto's more than handle the load. Also, while off roading not having to deal with the clutch and gear box is awesome as you can concentrate fully on your wheel placement or spotter. Even the most experienced wheelers stall their rigs on obstacles using a manual transmission. Have yet to see an auto do that.

Have heard many times on the trail, "should have bought an automatic". Never heard on the trail, "wish I had a manual". Owners preference of course.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I love manual transmissions. Most of the time. But it would depend on where I lived and what my daily commute was like. If you have to contend with a lot of traffic lights, or stop and go traffic, a manual can get old fast. Just a thought.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Why a manual transmission? Today's auto's more than handle the load. Also, while off roading not having to deal with the clutch and gear box is awesome as you can concentrate fully on your wheel placement or spotter. Even the most experienced wheelers stall their rigs on obstacles using a manual transmission. Have yet to see an auto do that.

Have heard many times on the trail, "should have bought an automatic". Never heard on the trail, "wish I had a manual". Owners preference of course.

Haha I couldn't disagree with this statement more. An auto box is brutal offroad. They overheat and can easily start to slip. If the gear ratio isn't dead on, the transmission will shift so sluggish that jts not even worth driving on the pavement. And actually, ive heard quite a few jeepers say the "wish they had a manual". My 5 speed will crawl up anything I point it at. I have never stalled while in first on rocks.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you've never driven a manual, then why would you want one now?

Don't get me wrong, I like em. My CJ and TJ both had them. When I moved to Vegas, the stop and go traffic and heat got so irritating I sold my TJ.

Couple years later I picked up my new Rubi with an auto and love it.

If you are leaning toward a manual because the salesman told you, I would say he's just trying to get it off the lot.

They're equally tough and all personal preference nowadays.

Oh, and I believe the '12's and up come with factory trans coolers, so overheating isn't the issue it used to be.

·
Super Moderator
53,782 Posts
If you've never driven a manual, then why would you want one now?

Don't get me wrong, I like em. My CJ and TJ both had them. When I moved to Vegas, the stop and go traffic and heat got so irritating I sold my TJ.

Couple years later I picked up my new Rubi with an auto and love it.

If you are leaning toward a manual because the salesman told you, I would say he's just trying to get it off the lot.

They're equally tough and all personal preference nowadays.

Oh, and I believe the '12's and up come with factory trans coolers, so overheating isn't the issue it used to be.
Wa...... What.
Because manuals rock. Real jeeps have manuals :hide:

·
Registered
196 Posts
You mentioned that this will be a DD, so things you need to consider... Do you have a lot of stop & go traffic? If so, then I would think a manual would be a PITA at times - I've read that from other people on here.

Personally, I would love a manual. I sold my YJ and was going to either by a used TJ or a new JKU. If I bought a TJ, it was going to be manual. But with the high resell value of Wranglers, it just made sense for me to spend a few more bucks and buy a new JKU. Since it's a DD, and half my commute is stop-n-go, I went with an automatic.

If you're out in the country and work in town, then a manual would probably be fine. But it all depends on what you intend to do with it... off-roading a lot, mostly highway driving?

I've driven a manual Jeep before (a YJ and a TJ) that some of my friends had and it was fun! Jeeps are fun, period. Whether you go with a manual or an automatic, it's still going to be a fun ride.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I love manual transmissions. Most of the time. But it would depend on where I lived and what my daily commute was like. If you have to contend with a lot of traffic lights, or stop and go traffic, a manual can get old fast. Just a thought.
You can always shift the automatic. For some reason folks forget to use the other sections. Like using the N while sitting in a traffic jam so you don't have to hold the brakes. The 1,2,&3 aren't just decorations.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Wa...... What.
Because manuals rock. Real jeeps have manuals :hide:
Oh my friend, just HAD to do it did you? Lol.

REAL Jeeps have manuals...

Or was it steel fenders...
Roll up windows?
No windows?
Leaf springs?
AMC 304's?
Noisy, loud, and hot floorboards?
Oh! 2 doors!
Or was it no doors...
ROUND HEADLIGHTS

I get so confused! Oh the humanity! If only my Jeep was real!

Good morning buddy!

·
Registered
41 Posts
As several others have already said, for a DD, it's really a matter of comfort and environment (city vs. highway, etc.).

I had really considered getting the manual this go around. My dad's CJ7 was what I learned to drive stick in. My first CJ was a 3-speed manual as well. So I had the history and the knowhow. :thumb:

But then I got to thinking that, you know what, I just wanna get in my vehicle and go... I don't want to be up-shifting and down-shifting, or worrying about rolling back at lights on an incline. I'm not planning on plowing snow or doing any extreme off-roading. And liking my tech and toys (and living in Ohio), I wanted the remote start feature that isn't available for manuals.

Now you sound like a young guy, just starting out with your first Jeep. You want to get it paid off in a hurry and get on with the modding. Chosing a manual transmission is definitely going to get that price down and further along to your goal! You might have to suck it up for a while and work that clutch and shifter for a few years, but for you, it could pay off in the long run!:dance:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd also second the recommendation to try out manual first before committing to buying one. Manual can be fun, but can also be a PITA depending on your situation. If you're in stop/go traffic at all or are on your phone a lot while driving, it's not so fun. I'm new to wheeling and I find that there's already a lot to think about without worrying about whether I'm in the right gear. I taught myself how to drive a stick by borrowing my grandmother's car and taking it to a local school parking lot where I had a lot of space. IMO the hardest part is starting from a standstill. Once you get that semi-smooth, the rest of the shifts are easy. My 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts