Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are there so many pics of Jeeps driving around with their 3/4" shackles on their bumper? Can't they just unscrew and fall off? Do some come with a pin to prevent this? Can't someone just walk up and steal them? I do think they look cool but I think I'll just keep mine safely in my tool bag in the back.

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
Then something happens.... you slide off a snowbank.... you can't open your rear door and your tools are in the back.... keep 'em behind your seat when you might need 'em (or maybe that's what you mean by *in the back* - if so, pardon this)... and as far as the d-shackles go..... take a screwdriver, give an extra twist... to tighten. Then... if/when you need them, they'll most likely be there, ret to go.

Or not.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
If you put a zip tie thru the hole on the pin, around the Ring itself and cinch it down, the pin can't twist or move at all. This is what most people with boat moorings do for extra assurance. You could do that on your jeep too

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
simply secure the rings with some extra twists using a screw driver. will deter anyone from trying to take them off without the use of any tools. obviously if someone has tools, and really wants to steal from you, your d-rings in a jeep are the least of your worries

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I leave them in the back with my recovery gear also. They won't do much good without straps anyways. If I can't crawl over the seat to get to them, then I'll be needing more than shackles and straps.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
You have to open them up to attach a tow strap anyway, just leave them in the back with the rest of recovery gear where they belong.

If you want to paint them bright yellow and listen to them rattle all the time go right ahead, won't hurt your Jeep but it attracts thieves.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you want to paint them bright yellow and listen to them rattle all the time go right ahead, won't hurt your Jeep but it attracts thieves.
Slap some "Ballcock shank washers" on those d-rings it stops them from clanking around on the bumper on the trails and highway! :thumb: & Give them an extra twist with a screwdriver!

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Yep!....

If you put a zip tie thru the hole on the pin, around the Ring itself and cinch it down, the pin can't twist or move at all. This is what most people with boat moorings do for extra assurance. You could do that on your jeep too
Slap some "Ballcock shank washers" on those d-rings it stops them from clanking around on the bumper on the trails and highway! :thumb: & Give them an extra twist with a screwdriver!

Put the heavest zip-ties that would fit thru the eye of the bolts, the day I got my bumpers w/D-rings:thumb: Will not stop a derermined @#$hole, but makes it more difficult :whistling:

Ballcock washers, well, thats the next step in my Mods:wavey:

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
You have to open them up to attach a tow strap anyway, just leave them in the back with the rest of recovery gear where they belong.

No, you don't have to *open them up* to attach a tow strap. Guess you've never had the back end of your jeep under water, and had another jeeper ready to attach his gear to YOUR jeep.... to pull you out...

I haven't been there myself, but witnessed it happening...

:dance::dance::dance:

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
mine are always w/my straps... I only have two nice ones, not sure when/where I would need them. But, if you go w/locktite make sure and use blue. Its made to come off w/a wrench whereas the red is permanent and requires heat to undo.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, you don't have to *open them up* to attach a tow strap. Guess you've never had the back end of your jeep under water, and had another jeeper ready to attach his gear to YOUR jeep.... to pull you out...

I haven't been there myself, but witnessed it happening...

:dance::dance::dance:
Actually I had my front bumper in/under a mud/ice/water mix and needed one of my shackles to attach my recovery strap to someones trailer hitch to pull me out backwards. Glad it wasn't already on the front bumper then. It was 20 degrees out too. But I guess if I would have wanted to be pulled forward it would have sucked to attach it. You never know what the situation might be.

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
Actually I had my front bumper in/under a mud/ice/water mix and needed one of my shackles to attach my recovery strap to someones trailer hitch to pull me out backwards. Glad it wasn't already on the front bumper then. It was 20 degrees out too. But I guess if I would have wanted to be pulled forward it would have sucked to attach it. You never know what the situation might be.
Well, your right. If you only have enough for the front. I have 2 on the front, one on the rear, and two more in my recovery kit... Different strokes for different folks... and I'm off road every single day for 6 months, over a mile in, then out, to get to pavement. Glad you got your rig out OK. And you don't ever *know* what the situation will be... thus, I try to go prepared.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What, me worry?

Maybe all of you live in a tougher area than I do.

I've never heard of any Jeeper around here (San Diego) having shackles stolen. I can't say it hasn't happened, but I imagine that other parts of the Jeep would be of more interest to thieves--the easily unzippable windows of the soft top, for instance.

Even nicely painted shackles cost only $12.95, so take a chance, leave them on your bumper, and see what happens. If someone takes a pair from you, you'll be out only the cost of a nice dinner.

As far as sound deadening goes, I use plastic isolators on my shackles. They're inconspicuous (black against black) and they work.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Maybe all of you live in a tougher area than I do.

I've never heard of any Jeeper around here (San Diego) having shackles stolen. I can't say it hasn't happened, but I imagine that other parts of the Jeep would be of more interest to thieves--the easily unzippable windows of the soft top, for instance.

Even nicely painted shackles cost only $12.95, so take a chance, leave them on your bumper, and see what happens. If someone takes a pair from you, you'll be out only the cost of a nice dinner.

As far as sound deadening goes, I use plastic isolators on my shackles. They're inconspicuous (black against black) and they work.
Small world..we were on the trail together at Truckhaven last weekend. This is your 12 JK rig all nice and purty going up the hill... How did the Go video turn out?

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Last image from the run going through the arch. Kkeating is the last through I think..This one gave me my first dimple on the front stock fender.

·
Registered
134 Posts
mine are always w/my straps... I only have two nice ones, not sure when/where I would need them. But, if you go w/locktite make sure and use blue. Its made to come off w/a wrench whereas the red is permanent and requires heat to undo.
Yup blue and tighten real good that shackle aint goin nowhere unless you have tools.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Small world..we were on the trail together at Truckhaven last weekend. This is your 12 JK rig all nice and purty going up the hill... How did the Go video turn out?
Nice photo of my Jeep--thanks! The GoPro videos were mixed: a few good segments, but the housing had a rattle so the sound wasn't good. If I get time, I'll try to edit the files and see if anything worthwhile results.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I moved back to TN so not to have to worry about these things. Might if I still lived in Lakewood,Ca but not here. Don't have special lugs either or locking gas cap. never had a issue

1 - 19 of 19 Posts