Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving when all of a sudden I hear a pit of a pop or something(not really sure, music was up) and lost all power everything, and (obviously) would not turn over. Tore the engine out, ripped off the head and this is what I found. Anyone seen this happen before or heard of it happening in a jeep?

Attachments

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
yep, on my buddy's 69 camaro. it just shut off on him, no pop or anything. there were chunks of piston laying in the intake and antifreeze in the carb. only difference was 90% of the cylinder wall for that particular cylinder was also gone.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
It has to be somewhere, or at least the pieces of it. Seems odd that the cylinder wall is not destroyed.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Had that happen with a cj a couple of times. Had the 304ci. Either way my headers kept leaking and it was sucking cold air into the cylinder and burning up pistons. Only once was the whole piston gone though.

·
Registered
584 Posts
A VERY GOOD excuse for a stroker!

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Holy crap!..... Never seen that before

·
Registered
305 Posts
O___O

This is scary to think about. How was the engine sounding before this happened?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had the opposite happen. My Mack cylinder liner dropped down and got smashed to pieces by the spinning crank. Heck of a rattlin' noise.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Pull your oil pan, thats where you'll find whats left of your piston!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Pull your oil pan, thats where you'll find whats left of your piston!

Yea all 35 thousand pieces of it.

I've been workin on cars since I was 10 but I ain't never seen that before, without a hole in the block somewhere

·
Genius
20,964 Posts
That's not cool. Maybe you could superglue the pieces back together and smear the face of the piston with JB weld so you can get some good compression.

Seriously though, now would be a good time to build a stroker.

Oh and replace the oil pump. Hard telling how much metal it ingested.

·
Registered
201 Posts
That's one hell of a piston assisted suicide.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Definitely going to be making this into a stroker, other forums I've read say I can turn it into a 4.6L by boring it out and getting a different crank, once the project is underway I'll be sure to keep you Jeepers updated. Kind of excited. One question I have is how deep is too deep of a gouge in the cylinder wall before the block is garbage?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts