Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer has offered to double my 3/36 warranty for around $1000.

I'd like to do it, but I haven't even picked up my car (will be tomorrow) and I'm pretty tapped out money-wise. I have to wait. Anybody recommend a good bumper to bumper insurer? I'm looking at USAA (who are doing my insurance) and it seems I can wait a while. But, I'd like to hear what others say. Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I got the lifetime Mopar Warranty, $100 deductible, for about $1200, back in 2010. You might check the Jeep web site, see if they have any specials going on.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
If you enjoy paying for something that will get you nothing when the time comes because of strange fine print or an insane deductible, then proceed as you were.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
If you enjoy paying for something that will get you nothing when the time comes because of strange fine print or an insane deductible, then proceed as you were.
Yeah insane $100 deductible, paleeez(where is the rolls eyes smiley)

People should really educate themselves on what they discuss, a lot of times it's seems they just regurgitate what they read on the internet, it doesn't make those people look very bright.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I have USAA also but I bought the max lifetime for $2250 IIRC, when my wife's JKU come in I'll be buying from Member ClayR, he is in the above link, PM him.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Clay did me right with a lifetime. I plan on keeping the Jeep a long time.. Still have a 98 Explorer that got 1 kid through college, second one in high school, and the warranty paid for itself when the rear end and trans went at 75k some years ago.. I think I paid more for the 100k on that then the lifetime w Clay.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The best extended warranty for anything is your money market or savings account.
+1. The fact is that odds are NOT in your favor that you'll get what you pay out of it, for any insurance ever. If that were not true insurance companies would cease to exist.

If 'peace of mind' is worth it, by all means buy a warranty... But don't do it thinking that it's going to save you money.

·
Registered
830 Posts
There's a forum member here who sells them at a good price (according to folks around here). Markups on warranties of this nature tend to run 100% so I'd start negotiations at 1/2 price.

·
Registered
317 Posts
There's a forum member here who sells them at a good price (according to folks around here). Markups on warranties of this nature tend to run 100% so I'd start negotiations at 1/2 price.
I was going to say the same thing. Typically half the cost of any extended warranty goes directly to the individual/business who sells it. Once you get over that fact, what's worse is even though the warranty company receives only half the purchase price they still have enough money to cover any claims, pays employees, and make a profit....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't understand the concept of buying an extended warrantee. Seems to me that it's like pre-paying for future life insurance or pre-paying your homeowners insurance - neither of which anyone would do. Philosophically it just doesn't register with me. Also - I traded in a car I had for 15 years to buy a Rubicon. The extended warrantee I was offered on the Rubicon only covered out to Year 6 or Year 7. That's not really much of an extension. I'm sure EWs have come in handy from time to time, but I'll sit this one out and simply self-insure Years 4 through 7.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I ended up doing the Max Lifetime. I am finally to the point in my life where I can get exactly what I want. I plan on keeping this Jeep for a long time.

I am very confident that it will pay for itself and then some. Why do I think this way? Because I have owned 3 other Jeeps and they needed attention after 50k miles.

If I where trading every 3-5 years no way would I get one and I would think twice also if I wanted to do a lot of mods.

My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
Wheres the best place for an extended warranty?
I bought my Lifetime Maximum Care $100 ded. from a forum member last December. Back then it was slightly under $2,000. I've heard the price has gone up a bit since then but forum member ClayR can probably beat your local dealer's price by a lot.

We plan on keeping our JK for at least 10 years. I figured the cost of the lifetime bumper-to-bumper warranty over 10 years to be less than 55-cents per day. Plus, there's more benefits to it than just knowing you'll never have to pay more than $100 for any repair for as long as you own your Jeep.

Someone who cannot afford that probably shouldn't be driving a vehicle that gets 16 MPG. :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm not in to extended warranties on anything. However, for the first time in my life I picked one up for my new jeep. The only reason I did was because Chrysler offers the Lifetime Max Care warranty, and I tend to keep my vehicles a long time if I like them. If it hadn't been for the lifetime option, I wouldn't have been interested.

If I keep the jeep for at least the next fifteen years, which I most likely will, and I have one major problem with it, I have my money back. Transmission problem, engine problem, differential problem, A/C, wiring harness, and so on - all are expensive things to fix. So ask yourself, what are the odds of eventually having an issue with an American built vehicle that will be taken off road, especially as it ages?

Of course, most people don't hang on to their vehicles that long. Unless you do, or pile on the mileage, it probably isn't worth it. I have no problem keeping a vehicle 15 years so I figure it's a good bet for me to make.

Should anyone be interested in an extended warranty, I'd highly recommend contacting forum member ClayR. He'll gladly give you a quote that you may find hard to beat. He did with me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Question: What does 'Lifetime' refer to in the Lifetime Maxcare warranty? I googled LMW a few times and it seems 'Lifetime' is limited to 7yrs or 100k miles based on the contracts I read.

I assumed Lifetime means 'for as long a you owe your vehicle' but I can't find that phrase
/condition.

Please clarify.

·
Retired Moderator
100,608 Posts
I personally don't purchase extended warranties, because I don't think that they are a good investment. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't, because they are a choice!

But that is just me, now OP for your question, I would purchase the warranty through my local Dealer that would be performing the warranty repairs if needed.
I have heard of to many horror stories of some purchasing these warranties, from out of state, and then expecting your Dealer to honor them. So then it becomes a pis-ing contest, and who needs that. So if you are really sold on these warranties, then just go purchase them from your local Dealer.

Good Luck........:whistling:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Question: What does 'Lifetime' refer to in the Lifetime Maxcare warranty? I googled LMW a few times and it seems 'Lifetime' is limited to 7yrs or 100k miles based on the contracts I read.

I assumed Lifetime means 'for as long a you owe your vehicle' but I can't find that phrase
/condition.

Please clarify.
Mine is actually written on the contract as 999,999miles and the year 2099. I guess they had to put something in there.

On edit, I am mistaken. The milage and year were put in from the finisher at the dealership, he said that was just to fill in the blanks.
As written on my contract it states;
"The plan ends upon the death of that purchaser or retail lessee or upon the transfer sale of the vehicle."

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Of course there is a stop loss built into the contract. It basically says that if the NADA book value is less than the repair costs of the vehicle than they can give you book value of the vehicle and send you on your way. So if you drive up in 20 years and want a brand new crate engine your not getting it, you'll get book value and go home contract finished.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts