Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would like it to stick out as much as possible to clear a large spare and not have to use an extender for a 1up bike rack. The OEM one looks rather short.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I think Rugged Ridge is the long one.....but I would want to do the opposite because the long one can sometimes turn into less than awesome "shin locater" when loading stuff in the back. Then again, depending on the size of your spare, you may not have much of a choice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
"Hidden hitch" is longer than OEM. That's what I have for the same reason. It's not so long that you'd have to worry about walking into it.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
^Yes, the Hidden Hitch, not the Rugged Ridge.

The Draw-Tite is a long one as well.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have the Hidden Hitch also. One thing I do not like about it is it doesn't have a clip for your wiring harness. other than that, it's great and does extend back a good ways.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I decided to get the extender from 1UPUSA and got it today. I gave up trying to get a longer hitch that also fits well. Tried the Hidden Hitch from Quadratec and it was loose where it slides up on the Jeep frame. Kinda sucked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided to get the extender from 1UPUSA and got it today. I gave up trying to get a longer hitch that also fits well. Tried the Hidden Hitch from Quadratec and it was loose where it slides up on the Jeep frame. Kinda sucked.
does it keep the bike rack from wobbling. that was the problem with the extenders that were only held in by a pin. ill have to research this 1up product. it must be new.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
It does have a bolt with split washers so it is different than simply an extender. I will install it today and let you know. I am not about to put my mountain bike or roadbike on an extender with just a pin. Each costs more than $5K, and would devastate me to replace, especially if they just fell off the rack and grenaded on the road (they are both carbon and they will vaporize). Here is a link but they don't picture than tightening bolt. I will let you know. It was $45 shipped so I hope it works. I cannot have it loosen up or wobble too much.

1UPUSA.com :: 2" Hitch Extender

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I have the Harbor Freight extender and Harbor Freight bike rack. That bad boy was rocking back and forth so much it looked like a metronome! I was really concerned....but...it never went anywhere. I kept an eye on it with my rearview camera.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It does have a bolt with split washers so it is different than simply an extender. I will install it today and let you know. I am not about to put my mountain bike or roadbike on an extender with just a pin. Each costs more than $5K, and would devastate me to replace, especially if they just fell off the rack and grenaded on the road (they are both carbon and they will vaporize). Here is a link but they don't picture than tightening bolt. I will let you know. It was $45 shipped so I hope it works. I cannot have it loosen up or wobble too much.

1UPUSA.com :: 2" Hitch Extender
ah, so it has the bolt/ball on the inside that tightens with the hex wrench? let us know how it works. thanks

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
ah, so it has the bolt/ball on the inside that tightens with the hex wrench? let us know how it works. thanks

Yeah, there is a spacer/bolt thingy welded inside and a bolt goes into it from the outside and tightens just like the 1UPUSA rack does. Very slick- zero movement. It clears my 35s (stock hitch+extender) by 2 inches so it is nice and close and will clear 37s for sure.

I'll see if I can upload some pictures shortly.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Rock solid design. Glad I found it. BTW, I run the Teraflex Hinges and Tire carrier. That keeps the tire pretty close, unlike the AEV design, for example. Some others (besides AEV) hold the tire pretty close too. AEV just leaves room between the tire and tailgate for that gas can they make.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts